What needs to happen to earn money from monetization?

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey!
I have a Music promotion channel where most of my videos are monetized.
I see that some days, my cpm is very high, while other days, it`s at 0.
My question: To earn Money, do People have to click on the ads, or do I earn anything from People just seeing the ads, but not clicking?
Thanks for any replies!

will_mcdaniel

Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I haven't made any money myself from it but, as far as I can gather from watching other people's guides, people need to actually click on the ad or watch a pre roll ad for at least 30 seconds before you get paid. That's my understanding at least. But like I say I'm probably not the most reliable source!

Ninja

Professional Funny Guy
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator
First off, CPM is Cost Per Milla (thousand). Basically, every 1000 monetizable views (having preroll, banner, or midroll ads on a video) you'll earn a set amount of money, usually around the $1 USD mark unless your network is doing really well or Youtube decides to up the price of an add. If someone uses add block however, the view will not count towards you getting paid because they didn't see the ad. Until you're in the 10's of thousands of views per day, you're not going to see much money trickle in.

Uncivilized Elk

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Basically, every 1000 monetizable views (having preroll, banner, or midroll ads on a video) you'll earn a set amount of money, usually around the $1 USD mark
$1 is for RPM (earnings per 1k views), not CPM. CPM is higher because not every view is a monetized view.