What Makes a Good Intro?

Mr Danny

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Just as the title says, I was wondering what you guys consider to be a good intro to a video. Not the actual introduction as in "Hey guys, today I'm talking about...". I mean the screen with your name and the little music thingy. How long should it be, what info it should contain, what type of music, etc.

Thanks for the help! :)

Reactions: OfficialZekeStorm

Galvin Lee

The Unique Guitarist
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Personally I think a good intro is when people will know what your channel is about with only a glance of the intro! :D

Reactions: Mr Danny

Topknot

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Definitely not a generic dubstep intro. Avg. viewers usually click away in the first 15 seconds if its not interesting, so if you're still starting out and you have 15 second dubstep intro, chances are they'll click away. So, imo I'd rather try doing something unique in that little time frame.

McCoob

Young Scientist
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
It should be as short as possible. Few seconds is enough for me as I hate watching 15 seconds intros with floating 3D text and dubstep...

EDIT: I realized that I wrote almost same thing as a guy above lol

Reactions: OfficialZekeStorm

Gametrap

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
These are my suggestions, but keep in mind, that intros are very subjective.

Length
If you're only going to have a title of your name and a few animations keep it between 3 and 5 seconds.
If you're going for something more extravagant, then still try to keep it under 10 seconds. Also, please only do this if you're planing on doing something really interesting in your intro. Like a little cartoon or something.

Info
Your name is enough, but if you want you can include a link or a slogan.

Music
As mentioned above, no generic dubstep. Make it laid back, rather quiet and slow. Nobody likes their ears exploding, when they click on a video and hear heavy metal.

Consider checking out my channel for my example of a rather good intro.
Hope this helps!

Ninja

Professional Funny Guy
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator
Something bright, quick and captivating that displays what your channel is like.

subversiveasset

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Something short -- 3 to 5 seconds, as others have mentioned...but I think that intros should also fit the feel of the channel. The problem with dubstep-y intros isn't that dubstep isn't all that bad, but that it can be inconsistent with the personality of a channel.

I like when people can get creative with the intros. Like, one guy I know does 3D printing and other craft type projects...so his intro is an symbolized/animated representation of his channel name being printed. That's clever and consistent with the brand.

Mr Danny

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Something short -- 3 to 5 seconds, as others have mentioned...but I think that intros should also fit the feel of the channel. The problem with dubstep-y intros isn't that dubstep isn't all that bad, but that it can be inconsistent with the personality of a channel.

I like when people can get creative with the intros. Like, one guy I know does 3D printing and other craft type projects...so his intro is an symbolized/animated representation of his channel name being printed. That's clever and consistent with the brand.
That's great advice! I'll definitely take it into account! :)[DOUBLEPOST=1451379121,1451379080][/DOUBLEPOST]
These are my suggestions, but keep in mind, that intros are very subjective.

Length
If you're only going to have a title of your name and a few animations keep it between 3 and 5 seconds.
If you're going for something more extravagant, then still try to keep it under 10 seconds. Also, please only do this if you're planing on doing something really interesting in your intro. Like a little cartoon or something.

Info
Your name is enough, but if you want you can include a link or a slogan.

Music
As mentioned above, no generic dubstep. Make it laid back, rather quiet and slow. Nobody likes their ears exploding, when they click on a video and hear heavy metal.

Consider checking out my channel for my example of a rather good intro.
Hope this helps!
I did check it out and it's pretty cool! How did you do the whole animation thing?

Gametrap

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I did check it out and it's pretty cool! How did you do the whole animation thing?
I used some assets from animations, 3D models etc. and put them together in Adobe After Effects.

I'm not sure, if I would recommend Adobe After Effects, because it's not easy to use, but 3D animation is pretty difficult overall.
You could also just try using a template, but the intro might come off as a little generic.

Let me know when you're done with your intro. I'd love to see what you came up with.