What Made You "POP"?

Darren Taylor

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I am 1 year into my YouTube channel and I made it to 1k subs. I get a steady flow of around 1-3 subs a day, and maybe I should be grateful for that.

However, that is slow growth and I would like to get to the next level. I am not gonna be PewDiePie any time soon (or ever :bounce:) but I want to get to the next step. Maybe that's 10-20 subs per day.

So my question is for those who have been in my position and have gone way beyond. What made your channel get to the next level? (2-10k subs and beyond) Was it 1 video? was it slow and gradual growth over a long time? Was it a shutout? a collaboration? Let me know your thoughts....

Reactions: videoeditgr

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I have no idea on your question but seems unfair to put as a top score Pewdiepie as long you are not on his niche. So, may I ask the top 5 channels in your niche? How many subs and views they got? What subjects do they deal and present? Market news? Theory? Personal examples? This might be the answer you are looking for :) Furthermore, as long as you are an educator or consultant if i got it right. The right question might also be "how many customers do you estimate earning through your channel or site or promotion in general for tge next year?"

Hope it helps :)

Reactions: TensorMonkey

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I earn between 100-200 subs a day. For me I had 1 video go 'viral'. To be honest it was simply the 'Clickbait' thumbnail that attracted views.
But that video made my channel jump from 2k subs to 30k subs pretty quickly (Couple months). From there I just upload regularly and managed to hit a few more 'virals' and now over 160k subs.
Most of my subs are dead though so it almost doesnt even count. Nowadays I just upload videos. Most get 1k views and then die off. But every now and then YouTube chooses a video and gets 100'000s/1'000'000s views..

Reactions: Darren Taylor
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I am 1 year into my YouTube channel and I made it to 1k subs. I get a steady flow of around 1-3 subs a day, and maybe I should be grateful for that.

However, that is slow growth and I would like to get to the next level. I am not gonna be PewDiePie any time soon (or ever :bounce:) but I want to get to the next step. Maybe that's 10-20 subs per day.

So my question is for those who have been in my position and have gone way beyond. What made your channel get to the next level? (2-10k subs and beyond) Was it 1 video? was it slow and gradual growth over a long time? Was it a shutout? a collaboration? Let me know your thoughts....
This isn't on your level at all, but with my last channel one video got me a steady stream of about 30 views per day even though I barely promoted it, for months. In fact, I remade the video once and reuploaded it, and got the same result. It was about a particularly well-known fable which also included the name of a famous musician (wasn't clickbaiting or giving misleading tags, it was Pied Piper :D)

I don't know why that one video got that much of a reaction while other famous fables didn't (you'd think that if The Pied Piper of Hamelin got that reaction then the Lion and the Mouse would have too, right? In that vein, the African tale Why The Bat Flies By Night did really well too. Go figure)

I tried making the occasional classic tale video to get more clicks and hoped that that would encourage people to watch the obscure short stories I also uploaded, but there really weren't many famous titles up at all. I overestimated how much attention the famous ones would get. If and when I take up that channel again I'll do mainly famous titles far more.

So yes - while I can't really give you much in the way of advice since you're doing much better with your channel than I did, I can say that uploading things that people know to look for, and tagging it well, will get you a long way. That's what I'm doing this time around with my new channel and it's already helping some.

Darren Taylor

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I earn between 100-200 subs a day. For me I had 1 video go 'viral'. To be honest it was simply the 'Clickbait' thumbnail that attracted views.
But that video made my channel jump from 2k subs to 30k subs pretty quickly (Couple months). From there I just upload regularly and managed to hit a few more 'virals' and now over 160k subs.
Most of my subs are dead though so it almost doesnt even count. Nowadays I just upload videos. Most get 1k views and then die off. But every now and then YouTube chooses a video and gets 100'000s/1'000'000s views..
Thanks for your insight - especially the part about "dead subs" that's something I seem to forget, that many subs will never be served your content or are no longer engaged with YT. A video about digital marketing won't go viral, but I think if I upload regularly I will hopefully build up a library of popular videos that bring people to my channel consistently. Thanks again![DOUBLEPOST=1539009477,1539009345][/DOUBLEPOST]
I have no idea on your question but seems unfair to put as a top score Pewdiepie as long you are not on his niche. So, may I ask the top 5 channels in your niche? How many subs and views they got? What subjects do they deal and present? Market news? Theory? Personal examples? This might be the answer you are looking for :) Furthermore, as long as you are an educator or consultant if i got it right. The right question might also be "how many customers do you estimate earning through your channel or site or promotion in general for tge next year?"

Hope it helps :)
The top channels in my nice are from highly established serial entrepreneur marketers and they top out at around the silver play button mark. Subject wise it's PPC, SEO, social media marketing and traffic acquisition and analytics. And you're right. My channel is landing me speaking gigs all over the UK, so I should look at i that way. Thanks!

Reactions: videoeditgr

evoloz

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber

I'm in a very similar position to you currently at 1.5k subs and averaging about 5 subs per day and trying to find my way through to the next growth zone

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
I get anything from 50 - 150 subs per day, and views vary from 6000 on a very bad day to 40,000 on a very good day.

Growth has not come from any single "pop", but from multiple mini "pops".

The important thing is to consistently upload the best material that you possibly can, and continue to work on all the best practice routines of quality thumbnails, descriptions, etc. I have produced some videos that I thought were really outstanding that have received very few views, and others that I thought were mediocre that have "popped" with hundreds of thousands of views. You can just never tell which one will take off and which will not...so you just have to keep going.

I listened to a Tim Schmoyer podcast recently in which he said that a channel such as his will usually have far fewer views in relation to the subscribers. I believe you are in a similar situation. People will subscribe to your channel because they find the subject matter interesting, but they will only watch the videos that they have a very specific interest in rather than tuning in every week to watch you. Something that Schmoyer and Derral Eves have done that seems to have been effective is collaborations with each other and other people in the same space. Having watched a few of your videos I think you have a really excellent channel, maybe you could team up with others in the digital marketing niche and have some Skype interviews?

Darren Taylor

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I get anything from 50 - 150 subs per day, and views vary from 6000 on a very bad day to 40,000 on a very good day.

Growth has not come from any single "pop", but from multiple mini "pops".

The important thing is to consistently upload the best material that you possibly can, and continue to work on all the best practice routines of quality thumbnails, descriptions, etc. I have produced some videos that I thought were really outstanding that have received very few views, and others that I thought were mediocre that have "popped" with hundreds of thousands of views. You can just never tell which one will take off and which will not...so you just have to keep going.

I listened to a Tim Schmoyer podcast recently in which he said that a channel such as his will usually have far fewer views in relation to the subscribers. I believe you are in a similar situation. People will subscribe to your channel because they find the subject matter interesting, but they will only watch the videos that they have a very specific interest in rather than tuning in every week to watch you. Something that Schmoyer and Derral Eves have done that seems to have been effective is collaborations with each other and other people in the same space. Having watched a few of your videos I think you have a really excellent channel, maybe you could team up with others in the digital marketing niche and have some Skype interviews?
Thanks, really appreciate your thoughts. You're quite right, with education channels, people will only engage on what is applicable to them right now, so it is a different ballpark. I have considered collaborations and I know it's something I should do. You've reinforced this and I am going to start reaching out to people in my space. Another thing I have considered is to do more volg style content and give a bit of insight into me and what makes me tick and why I am on YouTube as a marketer etc. But we'll see. Thanks again!

NatashaC

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I made videos about reality shows when they were at the height of their popularity which helped bring a lot of people to my channel. I would advertise on twitter around the same time as they were being aired on television and it paid off well for me. My channel grew rapidly for a while.