What kind of permission is necessary for compilation videos?

curiousbruh

Reaction score
I have a gaming channel that i would like to diverse by starting to make compilation/highlight videos. I am aware that this is a grey area on YouTube and kinda risky in terms of copyright problems. I know multiple channels on my niche that have been automatically demonetized because of "re-used content". I´m a bit skeptical about the whole idea and i´m looking to get opinions/insights on the matter. If i´m going to collect clips trough a form that I've shared to my fans, would that be enough to satisfy YouTube? The videos would be all about the highlights so fair use is not going to be a solution on this case. There's also problem with the fact that people might be sharing those clips to elsewhere and then multiple channels might have that same content on their videos which i have heard that might trigger the YouTube demonetization. There are also people how might bait by giving clips and after that claim the copyrights for a video where the clips was used.

EDIT: On the other hand there are multiple large YouTubers that do only compilations. So i guess this all can be sorted out in some manner?

Last edited:

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
No it can't, and here is the reason.

When YouTube adopted the AdSense Content Quality Guidelines last year, it also did several other things which I will list in order.

1. YouTube began much stricter enforcement of its Terms of Service and Community Guidelines. Most people don't bother to read the TOS before clicking the box which says that they have read and understand same; so they never see the section in which they promise not to upload media for which they don't own sufficient rights (read that as unlicensed copyright media). Channels in the review queue can now expect to be terminated rather than approved if they have major recognizable copyright content in their videos, or at the very least, they will be disapproved for monetization.

2. YouTube also said that all YPP channels, both new applicants and channels which had been members for years, would be reviewed for compliance with the new content guidelines. The channels people use to protest either their non-approval for monetization, or their demonetization, will be removed from the YPP themselves as soon as they are reviewed.

If entertaining your audience is your goal, go ahead with your channel plan; but note that if there is a major amount of unlicensed copyright media, you need to understand that you could draw three strikes and be terminated at any time.

If, however, your goal is monetization, you have no chance at all with the type of channel you plan to build.

curiousbruh

Reaction score
Yeah, you are right. My channel is already monetized so it would be kinda dumb to risk it.

Three major channels that seem to be doing this successfully though seem to be; Jukinvideo, Failarmy and People are awesome.
What they all have in common is that they have websites with submission forms which seem to be identical to each other.

Jukin: https://www.jukinvideo.com/submissions?utm_campaign=submission&utm_source=youtube&utm_medium=banner&utm_content=basic#
Failarmy: https://www.failarmy.com/?utm_campaign=submission&utm_source=youtube&utm_medium=about&utm_content=basic
People are awesome: https://www.peopleareawesome.com/submit-video

I browsed trough their videos to see if they're monetized. And i sure got ads from Jukin's and Failarmy's videos. But from People are awesome i didn't.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
Jukin seems to license or even buy out the rights to people's videos. You won't be able to do that without a large budget, and YouTube may will make this a TOS violation in future. Remember what I said about ALL channels being reviewed...

curiousbruh

Reaction score
Yeah it's better to be safe than sorry on this subject. Thanks for the help again!