What is your work flow for getting good audio?

Jacobbrownacro

Reaction score
I want to get better at capturing good audio in my videos. I want to know how other people capture and process it. I will write down a brief description of my current workflow.

I use a Panasonic G85 and a Rode Video Micro external mic.
I set the camera to record at a max of -1db.
I bring it into FCPX and use the Logic Limiter to limit peaks to -1db
Sometimes I use a noise gate to quiet background noise below 15 db
When I export using Compressor convert the stereo channel to Mono. I only have one mic so I figure it should be Stereo.

So please tell me your workflow.

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Following this!

I currently use a lavalier mic plugged into my Canon 70D DSLR. My problem is that I am constantly looking down and then back at the camera (I do recipe videos) and this creates loud spots and quiet spots due to the proximity of my mouth to the lavalier mic. I want to eliminate that.

(I used to film my videos with an external USB mic hooked into a laptop running Garage Band. I would then have two cameras of footage AND a separate audio file from the USB mic. The sound was good, but that meant I had to sync the audio with each video clip from two cameras. It was simply too much work trying to get out videos in a timely manner.)

Reactions: Jacobbrownacro

RTT

I've Got It
Reaction score
I want to get better at capturing good audio in my videos. I want to know how other people capture and process it. I will write down a brief description of my current workflow.

I use a Panasonic G85 and a Rode Video Micro external mic.
I set the camera to record at a max of -1db.
I bring it into FCPX and use the Logic Limiter to limit peaks to -1db
Sometimes I use a noise gate to quiet background noise below 15 db
When I export using Compressor convert the stereo channel to Mono. I only have one mic so I figure it should be Stereo.

So please tell me your workflow.
Hi Jacobbrownacro,

Nice videos! Well done! Currently I use GoPro with an external mic Zoom H1 and then sync in post. It won't be fast if I had a lot of small videos to edit, as I do it manually.

On a separate note, I'm looking at G85 at the moment, I was wondering if it's possible to film without depth of field (blurry background)? Kind of infinite focus mode, when everything is always focused, like GoPro? I looked it it in a cameras shop but the staff were useless :(

Thanks!

Reactions: Jacobbrownacro

newage

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Before I record the video, I do short recordings of sound tests and play them back to make sure it's exactly where I want it.

You have much better sound equipment than me, but I have a MXL 770 Cardioid Condenser Microphone with a Behringer Xenyx 302USB Mixer for my desktop. If I plan on sitting further away I will use a crappy shotgun mic.

Jacobbrownacro

Reaction score
Hi Jacobbrownacro,

Nice videos! Well done! Currently I use GoPro with an external mic Zoom H1 and then sync in post. It won't be fast if I had a lot of small videos to edit, as I do it manually.

On a separate note, I'm looking at G85 at the moment, I was wondering if it's possible to film without depth of field (blurry background)? Kind of infinite focus mode, when everything is always focused, like GoPro? I looked it it in a cameras shop but the staff were useless :(

Thanks!
You can do that but you need a special lens. I just got one which mimics a gopro
When you set the focus to infinity everything past 40 inches will be in focus. Look for Rokinon 7.5mm MFT on amazon. Only 250 dollars. Cheap for a lens.

Brandon

VISUAL.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hi! I use a Video Mic Pro with -20db usually, and no post process at all whatsoever and my sound is extremely good. HOWEVER, before I had the mic I would split my audio from my video and clean it up in Audacity. Thank god I don’t have to do that anymore.

RTT

I've Got It
Reaction score
You can do that but you need a special lens. I just got one which mimics a gopro
When you set the focus to infinity everything past 40 inches will be in focus. Look for Rokinon 7.5mm MFT on amazon. Only 250 dollars. Cheap for a lens.
Thanks for your response. I have an update on my gear and process. I went with Sony a6500 and Rode Video Micro. Sound is very good. Infinity focus can be achieved by increasing exposure.