What is your average CPM year?

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
So I was just wondering what everyone's average CPM has been for the year of 2018.

My CPM for 2018 is: $3.50

And GO!

Xynudu

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Is that playback-based or just CPM ?

Mines higher than that for just CPM.

Anything between $3 and $4 is what a good channel should expect to get.

Reactions: Jungle Explorer

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Is that playback-based or just CPM ?

Mines higher than that for just CPM.

Anything between $3 and $4 is what a good channel should expect to get.
That is just plain CPM. My Playback Based CPM is $4.51 for this year, but I am not sure what the difference is.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
What's CPM?
If you go to your youtube analytics and click on Ad Rates, you will see the CPM for you channel. I think CPM stands for Cost Per Mil but I am not sure about that. Basically, the CPM is how much money your channel is making for every 1000 viewers. It is just an average and there are many factors that effect it, but one of the biggest factors is Ad Rates that appear on your videos.

In my understanding (and I may be wrong), there is a thing called the AD MALL. In a crude virtual sense, the Ad Mall is a place where channels are essentially on auction to the advertisers and they bid on how much they will pay to place an ad on your channel.

To understand this concept better, think about the Super Bowl. Advertising space during the Super Bowl cost one million dollars for a 30 second commercial. The reason for this is that the viewer audience of the Super Bowl is massive. So the more popular a TV show is and the more viewers it has, the more costly the ad space is. The same is true to a certain extent for youtube channels. The more popular a channel is, the more advertisers are willing to pay to shows ads on that channel's videos.

Now, the actual process by which it is chosen, which ads show on which video, is completely automated and controlled by an extremely complex system of algorithms, that are constantly changing and ever evolving. There is no possible way for us, the creators, to understand this system even if youtube would give us the ability to see the process; which youtube won't for fear people would use the information to subvert the system.

The bottom line is that we the creators are blind when it comes to how our channels make money. Youtube gives us very vague tools to try to understand what is going, without ever really telling us what is REALLY going on. So CPM is the only tool we have to kind of see where are channel stands as far as the Ad Mall is concerned. Basically, does youtube see our channel as being more valuable or less valuable to advertisers.

The question that CPM can kind of answer is this. Is YouTube placing good ads on our videos that pay a good rate, or is youtube placing cut rate ads that pay almost nothing. Higher CPM indicates that youtube is placing better ads on your channel, and vica versa.

Again, this is my understanding of how it all works. I could be completely wrong. Youtube does everything in it's power to make everything as unclear and vague as they possibly can, so I don't think anyone really knows exactly how it really works.

Reactions: Laughable Chimp