Famebit
  1. Join the largest paid sponsorship network. No contracts, no gimmicks, get paid quick. New sponsorships are added daily. Join at famebit.com

Dismiss Notice

What is the right way of doing a giveaway?

Discussion in 'Strategies & Technique Advice' started by Zach Werre, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Zach Werre
    Cash:
    $47
    Is there even a right way? I see the normal, subscribe and you'll be entered but it seems like all that happens is your subscriber count jumps but hardly any of them are interested in your videos and won't watch them. Is there a way of doing a giveaway so that your channel grows the right way?

2. BrettMikaluk
    Uniquely Awesome Since 1997
    Cash:
    $32
    You could do retweets, you could do subscribers, you can really do anything you want that keeps track of interaction. There will always be people only joining in the hopes of winning, but in the end if you want to do a giveaway that's the unfortunate result!

3. EVO
    EVO
    I Love YTtalk
    Cash:
    $262
    The best thing is not to do them.

Crown and Darren Taylor like this.
  4. Darren Taylor
    I've Got It
    Cash:
    $118
    Agree with this in 99.9% of cases. Most giveaways I see are pointless. I am a marketer and have worked with loads of businesses doing giveaways. The only time it works is if the product you are giving away is so niche that people entering would also be interested in your subject matter

e.g. if your channel is about construction, giving away a niche toolkit for specific construction tasks could be quite good. Or in my case, if I gave away a free business marketing consulting session I may get a future client from it at least, and people who subscribe would be my target audience.

Oh, and you have to create great content too in order to keep them.

Hope that helps!

5. GameGabe
    What about in my case ... I received 3 game keys to give away from the developers and i'm really trying to "force" the people to enter 'cos i'm scared what will happen what will happen if noone enters. I mean there's still time to enter but i thought more ppl would enter.

6. iGM
    iGM
    That Scottish Guy
    Cash:
    $6
    I used to have a gaming channel and what I would do is have monthly giveaways for the most active users on my channel.
    I.e the person with the most engagements with my channel.

It is not really a valid method of promotion anymore due to the adpocalypse and the decrease in ad revenue for small creators. Back when I did it, the giveaway itself would cost maybe $10 - a PC game code or Xbox Live code (staying with the niche).
    This way, the video views generated themselves would cover the cost of the prize.

A way around this could be a raffle, not a giveaway.
    For example, donating like $0.10 for an entry. If the prize costs $10 - you would need 100 entries. The incentive being that they get a really good deal if they win but if they lose they aren't really losing much. Similar to how gambling works, in a sense.

7. EVO
    EVO
    I Love YTtalk
    Cash:
    $262
    Through them in the comments section - first come first served

8. GameGabe
    That's what i've said in the beginning of video, but for some reason ppl aren't that interested in the game even tho it's funny imo

9. UhoohExtra
    Loving YTtalk
    Cash:
    $0
    think i saw a video influencer type channel do a legal thing on this.. apparently yt treat it as a competition whereby you have to appease laws in multiple countries - especially america, and read and understand all of yt's terms of service which would take a billion years to understand afterwhich you could get your channel banned anyway depending on how someone else might interpret the rules.?!? you would need to learn YouTube’s contest policies and guidelines, federal trade commsions, gaming, gambling laws, privacy, dealing with people personal data. video creators channel did a video about this interviewing an attorney which you can watch if you have half hour of your life to invest that you will never get back again to eventually arrive at a very complicated 'they don't know' conclusion. I wouldn't bother, you could use the time you save to make another 100 videos. Do one on you own webpage maybe where you can do what you like.

10. PictureFIT
    Super Poster
    Cash:
    $90
    I would never use a giveaway as a means to shuttle more subscribers to your channel. In the end, they will either unsub or become inactive subscribers, both of which won't help you in the long run.

The only use-case for giveaway I deem effective is to expand your presence in other social media platforms. If people are already subscribed to your channel without any incentive (just simply enjoy your content), then having a giveaway that is tied to them acting upon your other social platforms might entice your subscribers to engage with on those platforms as well. That is if you value having a stronger presence in the other platforms in the first place (which you should).