What is the ideal YT video length? Specifically a "let's play".

RipRoar

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'd really like to know what people prefer? What makes you choose this length of time?

I feel like personally, I enjoy watching a 10 - 20 minute video. But is this the general consensus?

Reactions: Olija

MutantCreeper36

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
For me it is about 20 - 30 minutes and sometimes 20 - 40 this is because it provides everyone with content but it doesn't take so little time that you feel bored after watching it but the reason i try to keep it under 40 minutes is so they don't waste to much time watching the video and get bored because of that too.

ItsMeRay

Hey there, Ray here!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Personally if I'm watching a Let's Play, I prefer the episodes to be around 20-30 minutes long. I tend to like my videos a bit on the longer side because I tend to play other games while watching let's plays or do other stuff. Also, it really does depend on the person and game.

Reactions: RipRoar

RipRoar

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
For me it is about 20 - 30 minutes and sometimes 20 - 40 this is because it provides everyone with content but it doesn't take so little time that you feel bored after watching it but the reason i try to keep it under 40 minutes is so they don't waste to much time watching the video and get bored because of that too.
Yes. With a shorter video I can understand how someone struggles to narrate their story, yet maintain attention if it's too long.

Personally if I'm watching a Let's Play, I prefer the episodes to be around 20-30 minutes long. I tend to like my videos a bit on the longer side because I tend to play other games while watching let's plays or do other stuff. Also, it really does depend on the person and game.
That's a really good point. I do tend to find myself playing a youtube video while simultaneously completing another task. And for that reason I do enjoy them a bit longer (so I can complete the task). haha

MutantCreeper36

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I don't really have a story I just really play anything that sounds cool or I find enjoyable. I also keep it in a short amount of time though for the fact of if I take too long I will run out of things I could talk about when I'm alone.

Olija

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'd really like to know what people prefer? What makes you choose this length of time?

I feel like personally, I enjoy watching a 10 - 20 minute video. But is this the general consensus?
It depends on the type of youtuber you want to be, and what kind of games you plan to play, and what your edit style is. Like Markiplier for instance most of his gameplays are about 15-30 mins long, but he doesn't have any big or fancy edits, but if you watch someone like Dashie for instance, he has constant jumpcuts and edits bc thats what makes his videos great, and his videos reach 20 mins at max usually and the minimum is usually 10 minutes.

ZakDTV

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I do news and so far it seems like ideal time is around 5 min for my videos. If I go into too much explanation I lose people.

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I haven't done Let's Play videos in a long time. But when I did I tried keeping it between 15-30 minutes max. Mainly cause people watched them for the stories, the guide on how to get through the game, my reactions to something, or perhaps to just get to know me better as a person or any other reason I'm not currently thinking of. =] People on Youtube tend to look for a friend or a new sibling and when they watch your videos they want to connect with you. Well...hope that helps.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
My vids are 10 minutes so I get to take advantage of extra ads.
I also prefer to watch vids around this time also. I will watch shorter vids in full but longer vids I tend to skip through.

Heather White

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It really depends on what your content is all about. YouTube's algorithms are based on watch time. So, the more minutes people watch of your videos, the better. So if this means making them shorter or if you can keep their attention, make them longer.