What is the best way to get rid of sub 4 subbers?

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
When your channel and videos reach a certain level, that is, higher than beginning channels, those asking s4s tend to go away. You start to give off the impression that you’re too big and too busy to bother asking s4s.

Reactions: Aaron Geyer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Keep your channel. We are in the same boat, and what we did to stop s4s channels is we set our comments to all review before posting. So we review all of them and we only allow comments if it looks legit. We ignore those asking subs or sending invites. After 3 weeks of doing that the s4s channels stopped visiting us and unsubbed. There are still new ones that comes in but yeah we ignore them. The good part started to happen then, we are seeing improvement in our watch time views. It is increasing slowly per week and we noticed that YT algo is now suggesting our videos in other channels that has more traffic than ours. Hopefully YT will continue recomending our videos and won’t stop.

Robot Elixir

Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I'd recommend blocking certain words or phrases in your community settings filters so all future crappy comments never get published without approval.

If you're feeling REALLY brave, perhaps you could add a message at the start of your next video which addresses the issue directly and can somehow imply that the s4s strats are not welcome on your channel. That might just do the trick and win you extra respect point from your real fans. Just a thought. Good luck. :)

Aaron Geyer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
It's been about 28 days since I decided to stop doing s4s and I wanted to share what impact it has had on my channel. There are other factors that contribute to these results besides just stopping s4s. Just keep that in mind.

I unsubscribed from most of my subbies (I kept a small select few that were actually watching the vast majority of my videos for well above my average view duration). I blocked these channels from commenting on my videos. Then I deleted or hid most of their comments (I focused mainly on cleaning up comments from the past 3 months).

So in terms of watch time it has had a big impact. I've seen a 65% increase in watch time over 28 days. View count growth for the channel is up over 40% in the same period. Average view duration has increased by 17%. I've gone from about an average of 3:00 minute watch time to over 3:30 in watch time per video. Subscriber growth is down by about 60% which is to be expected since I've had several people unsubscribe from my channel in the last 28 days. What is amazing is that I've still managed to gain a few subs even though I've unsubscribed from dozens.

The net affect has been amazing! It is very rare now to get a subscriber that asks me to check out their channel or sub back. I don't remember being asked to return the favour for at least 2 weeks. View time and viewer retention is starting to push new highs. I've got more time on my hands to work on making better video and improving titles and meta data on my current videos. I'm not going back to S4S. It is worse than a waste of time.

Ruslana Ness

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
It's been about 28 days since I decided to stop doing s4s and I wanted to share what impact it has had on my channel. There are other factors that contribute to these results besides just stopping s4s. Just keep that in mind.

I unsubscribed from most of my subbies (I kept a small select few that were actually watching the vast majority of my videos for well above my average view duration). I blocked these channels from commenting on my videos. Then I deleted or hid most of their comments (I focused mainly on cleaning up comments from the past 3 months).

So in terms of watch time it has had a big impact. I've seen a 65% increase in watch time over 28 days. View count growth for the channel is up over 40% in the same period. Average view duration has increased by 17%. I've gone from about an average of 3:00 minute watch time to over 3:30 in watch time per video. Subscriber growth is down by about 60% which is to be expected since I've had several people unsubscribe from my channel in the last 28 days. What is amazing is that I've still managed to gain a few subs even though I've unsubscribed from dozens.

The net affect has been amazing! It is very rare now to get a subscriber that asks me to check out their channel or sub back. I don't remember being asked to return the favour for at least 2 weeks. View time and viewer retention is starting to push new highs. I've got more time on my hands to work on making better video and improving titles and meta data on my current videos. I'm not going back to S4S. It is worse than a waste of time.
thanks for sharing, i have the same case
i deleted all the sub4sub comments
but also i didn't upload videos since then [cuz i'm still thinking opening a new channel with another niche and keep the current one for beauty]
and i got real subs, everyday i'm getting at least one real sub
[people are finding the channel from the search]

Ruslana Ness

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
and the most important thing - the sub4sub ended.. still i'm getting 1 maybe once a week but i delete it,
and i still get real subs

Reactions: Dutchie Abroad

MyBigBrain

I've Got It
Reaction score
Does having subs who don't watch your videos or watch for short lengths have a real meangful negative impact?

I would rather have 1000 subs who don't watch, or watch for short lengths than 0 subs who don't watch at all.

At least with 1000, people are more likely to subscribe if they think that you have already 'attracted' 1000 subscribers. Attracting subscribers from 0 is an uphill battle.

Ruslana Ness

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Does having subs who don't watch your videos or watch for short lengths have a real meangful negative impact?

I would rather have 1000 subs who don't watch, or watch for short lengths than 0 subs who don't watch at all.

At least with 1000, people are more likely to subscribe if they think that you have already 'attracted' 1000 subscribers. Attracting subscribers from 0 is an uphill battle.
that's what i thought in the beginning and what is really happening that when you have 1000 subs that dont watch your videos, everytime you upload you get like 30-40 views and that's embarrassing.

AND because they watch only the beginning and abandon the video - the algorithm notice it [that it is possibly a not so good video] and not recommending your video.[DOUBLEPOST=1512111785,1512111715][/DOUBLEPOST]what you should do is the hard work,
make good SEARCHABLE videos and real subs will find you through the search

MyBigBrain

I've Got It
Reaction score
that's what i thought in the beginning and what is really happening that when you have 1000 subs that dont watch your videos, everytime you upload you get like 30-40 views and that's embarrassing.

AND because they watch only the beginning and abandon the video - the algorithm notice it [that it is possibly a not so good video] and not recommending your video.[DOUBLEPOST=1512111785,1512111715][/DOUBLEPOST]what you should do is the hard work,
make good SEARCHABLE videos and real subs will find you through the search
I suppose I am lucky in that I only have 8 sub4sub, and they stopped watching my videos a long time ago. So I still keep them, because I am getting views from other people. However, nobody has subscribed to me ever since my sub4subs.

Juke Joint Gaming

Reaction score

Thank you for posting this. I did the process of unsubbing from sub for sub and also deleting those comments but now i have the other annoying thing you mentioned. People who just post stuff like good video now check out mine. Or post 2 seconds after i upload a video telling me what a great video it is. I have thought of doing something similar to this as well. ill admit its nice seeing the sub count rise but its all fake accounts just wanting you to go to their channel and not view any of your content then whats the point? i also realize that most people who enjoy your comment that sub will not be youtube creators. I even had one guy that i got sick of who kept posting things like if you dont stay active on my channel i will unsub from you. he got blocked.[DOUBLEPOST=1512393045,1512392904][/DOUBLEPOST]

Watch time is way more important then sub count. Having 5 subs who watch most of your content is better then 1000 subs who don't watch.[DOUBLEPOST=1512393147][/DOUBLEPOST]
I suppose I am lucky in that I only have 8 sub4sub, and they stopped watching my videos a long time ago. So I still keep them, because I am getting views from other people. However, nobody has subscribed to me ever since my sub4subs.
what i've noticed with sub4sub is they either do not sub to you but say they do or they unsub from you as soon as you sub to them. also those people you will never see on your channel again. Least that was my experience.