What is happening with my video? Should I report it?

Hulio

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've been perplexed with the goings on of one of my videos for a few years now. In late 2015, I uploaded a bird video of a belted kingfisher and at the end of it, it lets out its call. For the first 16 months of the video's upload, it received 28 likes and 1 dislike. A pretty typical reaction to my videos - both then and now. However, since
February 2017, it has received an additional 46 likes, but also an additional 55 dislikes. There's never any accompanying feedback in comments to say what the issue is people are finding with the video. This isn't happening with any other of my videos - not even remotely. In my opinion, the video quality is crisp. It makes me wonder if someone could be behind this sudden downturn in feedback? I never overreact to getting some dislikes here and there. But still:

Before Feb 2017: 28 likes, 1 dislike
Since Feb 2017: 46 likes, 55 dislikes

That's a really distinct turn in feedback. Should I make mention of it to Youtube? And if so, how?

Hulio

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
hmmm. To repeat, I don't overreact to getting dislikes. Maybe I should've gone on to say I don't think about them much. I even take pride that my most viewed video is nearing 200 dislikes! haha

My point was that in the first year and a half the like to dislike raito was 28-1. Since then it has been 46-55. It changed overnight for some reason, and for no other video of mine. Kingfishers are beautiful birds and it's (IMHO) a sharp video. I'm always trying to better my videos and channel. I take pride in that. But something funny is happening with this one video. And to repeat myself, there's no accompanying comments by anyone with any negative feedback. It makes me wonder if it's legitimate. I'm not sure what could be so disagreeable about it haha

Andrewcu

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Perhaps your subscribers liked the video (as subscribers often do irrespective of the actual video) but when YouTube promoted the video to others they found something off. For example a misleading thumbnail or title.

adiben

Reaction score
imho it is not legit even there is significant view increment, maybe some jealous group try to dislikes it together, or you miss use some tagging

Reactions: Hulio

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Check the traffic sources in analytics. The most likely explanation is that someone has found the video, decided they didn't like it (for whatever reason - don't sweat it) and then decided to share it somewhere saying how much they dislike it and giving their reason. Some internet people are like sheep, they just jump on the band wago without thinking for themselves.

The other explanation by @Andrewcu is also very likely. People have searched for something, clicked on your video and didn't get what they were searching for. Maybe there's a word in your tags that is ambiguous. It could correctly describe the content but it could also have a very different meaning in another context and that is what people were searching for. Have a look in analytics and try to see what search terms you've had those views from.

Either way, don't try to second guess it. It will drive you nuts. ^^

Reactions: AmberAndGolden