What is Community Contributions in Advanced Video Settings?

SeanFace101

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
What e does happens if I choose to enable the "Community Contributions" setting when I edit one of my videos in the Advanced Settings? Does this mean any viewer of my video on YouTube can add text and stuff to my video?

Techy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Reviewer, Other
I think it means other people can add subtitles to your videos

SeanFace101

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Saying anything they want? That's seems a bit mad lol :p Do I get to approve them first before other viewers get to see them?

Reactions: Taylor Hoffman

Taylor Hoffman

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Saying anything they want? That's seems a bit mad lol :p Do I get to approve them first before other viewers get to see them?
It allows other people to add in annotations or subtitles to your video. You of course have to approve of each one before it becomes released, just a publishing standard.

SeanFace101

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
do you know of a video that has this enabled so I can try it for myself from the viewers side of things? :p I have never used it on any of my videos and never noticed the ability to do it to other videos ever lol :p

Taylor Hoffman

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
do you know of a video that has this enabled so I can try it for myself from the viewers side of things? :p I have never used it on any of my videos and never noticed the ability to do it to other videos ever lol :p
No, not exactly.. I never was interested in the sort of thing. I felt that the community would just get bored or persistent by pestering the person into accepting satire content into their videos. It's not really worth the time.

Reactions: SeanFace101

SeanFace101

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think its a pretty daft feature to be honest and cant think of any reason why I would want to use it. :p I would prefer people to just comment below the video rather than on / through it lol :p

Taylor Hoffman

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I think its a pretty daft feature to be honest and cant think of any reason why I would want to use it. :p I would prefer people to just comment below the video rather than on / through it lol :p

I believe it's just YouTube crafting up yet another way for people to be trolled by the internet.

subversiveasset

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
As mentioned before, community subtitles are for crowdsourcing subtitles. The main benefit to this that I can think of is the potential to outsource *translations* of subtitles, so that one doesn't have to rely on poor automatic google translations or pay a professional translator. Or, it can even be helpful to outsource the actual subtitles for those who do not have the time to provide their own (e.g., they didn't have script prewritten and find it to be too time consuming to write out the script after the fact.)

I think it's actually a pretty interesting idea, if you have fans who are dedicated enough to contribute. I'd love for some of my covers to get translations in Japanese since they are so often covers of Japanese game music, but alas...no one has ever used the community contributions for any of my videos.