What is a healthy views/subscriber ratio?

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
People have been posting and it seems like as you do it longer and get more popular the gap grows. Sounds like you're on the up

TK's Opinion

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I just started my channel so I don't have any subscribers yet, but from the channels I subscribe to it seems that each video gets 15-20 percent of the subscribers in views. Meaning 100,000 subscribers is good for 15,000 to 20,000 views per posting. This may be specific to film review channels though.

Gaijillionaire

Reaction score
Channel Type
don't forget, to subscribe just means you tube will send you a message when a channel has a new video up and you can watch it without searching. as a channel gets bigger they may get a website or other ways to get views without subbing

LRwF

Super Poster
Reaction score
I find this a hard topic because our views:subs is low at the moment. We are daily vloggers so things are a bit different but it seems that views are 10% of subs. So 100 subs = 10 vies per video. So now we should be getting around 130 views per video but we are not getting that at all (not sure if its just that time of year or we are just doing something wrong)

xsstreem

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I don't look to subscribers for my views. Last month over 96% of my views came from unsubscribed viewers.
Subscribers are good because they affect your channel authority and ability to rank new videos. When it comes down to it views are what matters doesn't matter where they come from.

Gaijillionaire

Reaction score
Channel Type
I don't look to subscribers for my views. Last month over 96% of my views came from unsubscribed viewers.
Subscribers are good because they affect your channel authority and ability to rank new videos. When it comes down to it views are what matters doesn't matter where they come from.

Hmm never thought of that! I've said in other posts before and people agree that as you get bigger that unsub views will be the majority but wow 96%!

Just an update since I started this First I want to say thanks it's a great talk with a lot of people. Since the first post, over gone from 1400 / 14 to 1750 / 17 so the ratio is still sticking !

BoodleBobs

Reaction score
I can confirm wasbiroots statement for gaining subs from younger audiences is absolutely true. I have branched out in creating content which will appeal to a wider demographic with some success in an attempt to counter this.

Today - 108,000 views and 595 subs gives me a ratio of around 1 sub per 181 views - Before Christmas (prior to doing content to appeal to older audiences) - it was terrible with a ratio of 1 sub per 1,036

Also depends on type of channel. Like, channels catered for small kids have the worse view to sub ratio because kids are click friendly and never subscribe.

Zadey

Reaction score
Short answer to this, it really doesn't matter.

If you get alot of views and not many subscribers, your content is more important than your channel. For example a video on "How to get Adobe Photoshop for Free" might get 300K views, but won't get you alot of subscribers. This is because people care more about the commodity than about you.

Or maybe you released a music video in 2009 about a popular song and got 127 million views but only 9K subscribers. That's a very low rate, it's for the same reason. People care about a specific piece of content that is not "repeatable" and care less about your channel or brand.

If you get a lot of subscribers and not many views, it might mean your content is too niche. You might need to start making more trendy content or taking steps to get your content recommended by you tube.

People don't really pay attention to total views on your about page. They are more interested in your "Videos" page, where they will see all of your thumbnails, your profile picture and your banner. That is the most important part.

Financial Wisdom

Reaction score
Hi, Just came across this thread, feeling positive from what I can see.... I have had 7500 views and have achieved 330 sub scribers so approx a 1:22 ratio. Maybe because im a growing channel or 'hopefully' because I have good content - I do animated financial book reviews so i guess fairly niche.

fixedsnuffle

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Other
I am sucking. I average about 1 sub for every 250 views.
However I have fairly monotone presentation, my channel is definitely niche as it is about recognizing military equipment. Also it does not look professional at all.