What, in your case either BOOSTED or KILLED your channel?

AmberAndGolden

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I've done a few things in the past (like, making a specific video) that pushed a big boost to my channel (relative to it's size LOL) and other things (like taking a few breaks over the years..) that seem to have killed my channel

What, in your experience, either gave you a big boost, or killed your views/likes/subs(ect)

I'd love to hear your stories!

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have a strange case. On 18 January this year I had big Boos of one of my videos going from 100 views per day to 3000 views in a day (someone from India make a good share). Since that date all views drop to 300 views per day for all videos, like channel limitation. No matter what I do, what I upload or not upload the views stay constant. Still No explanation.

Reactions: AmberAndGolden

AmberAndGolden

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I have a strange case. On 18 January this year I had big Boos of one of my videos going from 100 views per day to 3000 views in a day (someone from India make a good share). Since that date all views drop to 300 views per day for all videos, like channel limitation. No matter what I do, what I upload or not upload the views stay constant. Still No explanation.
How weird :cautious2: I wonder what happened there?

OrbitGuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
For me what has boosted the channel has been either the games I picked to play or the topics I chose, often a combination. Some games just didn't fit my content style well, and other times they looked popular but it was actually just promotion hype and the actual YouTube audience was small. I messed with a number of games until I hit one that did much better and I was able to ride that for 3 years + so far. I didn't get the full potential though until I improved my topics and figured out what videos people were liking best.

Breaks definitely killed me at times too. I only uploaded during holidays/summer the first few years because I was at college and just too many people around to record. Then in 2018 I did a 9 month break, that had started with some medical issues but then I decided to pivot my channel and it was just too much too fast for me... luckily I got back to it eventually but it has taken like 3 months to sorta get back some momentum and topics that were good over and over before are still underperforming. I also have not had a single video get suggested heavily since returning where before it seemed like every video I made for a while was getting suggested on all videos in my niche. I'm really making the same type of stuff too, but the algorithm seems to not trust me or interest has changed. The other thing things the hurt my performance were spreading my focus too wide, and uploading more than once per day but I think that varies by channel.

AmberAndGolden

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
For me what has boosted the channel has been either the games I picked to play or the topics I chose, often a combination. Some games just didn't fit my content style well, and other times they looked popular but it was actually just promotion hype and the actual YouTube audience was small. I messed with a number of games until I hit one that did much better and I was able to ride that for 3 years + so far. I didn't get the full potential though until I improved my topics and figured out what videos people were liking best.

Breaks definitely killed me at times too. I only uploaded during holidays/summer the first few years because I was at college and just too many people around to record. Then in 2018 I did a 9 month break, that had started with some medical issues but then I decided to pivot my channel and it was just too much too fast for me... luckily I got back to it eventually but it has taken like 3 months to sorta get back some momentum and topics that were good over and over before are still underperforming. I also have not had a single video get suggested heavily since returning where before it seemed like every video I made for a while was getting suggested on all videos in my niche. I'm really making the same type of stuff too, but the algorithm seems to not trust me or interest has changed. The other thing things the hurt my performance were spreading my focus too wide, and uploading more than once per day but I think that varies by channel.
Ah thats interesting, i think taking breaks is a common channel 'killer', which is frustrating because often times you don't have a choice!
It's good that your viewership ect has started to pick up again, though! Hopefully it'll only be a matter of time unil you're back to how you were before

Reactions: OrbitGuy