What if you had started when it all began?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Symph

I'm a dude with a face and I know how to use it.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer
I think about this all the time. I just started posting videos like a week and a half ago, youtube has been the huge phenomenon it is for years, there are so many youtube "stars" it's not even funny, and there are SOOOO many videos, that getting yours to the top of the search engines is painfully hard at best, and a merely a crap shoot at worst.

But what if you had gotten started within the first year of youtube's creation? Do you think you would have had an easier time getting to the top? If you had started when their video counts were lower, and spammers weren't so notorious that people might actually listen when you said you had a good video, do you think it would have changed anything?

Do you think we are truly at a disadvantage having gotten in the game so late? Or would it not have made a difference? Let's discuss.

Vicboss

The Man who sold the world
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
well if i started back then and kept putting good content i would not only have a successful channel by now but i'd probably have a few channels... that's the plan now. anyway . if your not putting out videos on a regular basis you won't be "making it" doesnt matter if its 2005 or 2012 key is to put videos out there and promote the s**t outta em. i've had my Theprav account since 2006 probably could have made something outta it i just posted one or two videos never promoted them ...now i dunno if it would be any easier back then less people knew about youtube. but like i said if we kept putting out videos from then till now it's a pretty good bet we'd all be "stars" by now.

Symph

Reaction score
Channel Type
Seems to me that if you were doing it when youtube itself was a new idea, then the buzz around this "new sharing site" youtube, would have drawn people to it, AND they would have been more accepting of material just because it was curious to see what people would post, then when you factor in how much smaller the amount of competitive videos you were dealing with it just totally seems to me like you would've had a major advantage, but hey, maybe I'm wrong I dunno. Whether it would have helped or not, you are right about one thing, can't go back and change it now so just post post post, promote promote promote.

Vicboss

The Man who sold the world
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
that's true there wasn't really anyone back then who set the bar yet,so it was an even playing field. but now, its is hard to come up with ideas that haven't been done before ..right now people are just doing whats popular to get some hits "s**t....say" "Cinnamon challenge" now if you wanna get hits that way by making a video outta something that's trending that's cool there are plenty of people who do that and get one video with a pretty decent view count BUT you have to be able to follow up even if you gain subscribers with that video if your giving the viewers s**t there gonna stop paying attention. you'd probably have to grind much more to get your videos popular today...so i see where you are coming from when you say it would be an advantage back then to grow as youtube is growing. but again promote promote promote...and its good to have a few friends in the youtube scene too! collaborating is another good thing to do that people do today that they really didn't do much of back then both youtube eras have there pros and cons

VlogRays

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yes I have thought that recently. I really wish I had started years ago!

Symph

Reaction score
Channel Type
Lol, I'm starting to wish I'd never posted this, perhaps I'll have to change the title to "hindsight's a b***h" LOL

Michael Carlyle

The Active Member!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Reviewer
I think about this all the time. I just started posting videos like a week and a half ago, youtube has been the huge phenomenon it is for years, there are so many youtube "stars" it's not even funny, and there are SOOOO many videos, that getting yours to the top of the search engines is painfully hard at best, and a merely a crap shoot at worst.

But what if you had gotten started within the first year of youtube's creation? Do you think you would have had an easier time getting to the top? If you had started when their video counts were lower, and spammers weren't so notorious that people might actually listen when you said you had a good video, do you think it would have changed anything?

Do you think we are truly at a disadvantage having gotten in the game so late? Or would it not have made a difference? Let's discuss.
Yeah, It'd be so much easier to get some fame/to the top!
We have a little disadvantage because we have to compete with 'Millions' of people, but If we started then we would only compete with like 400k people (still a lot just not as much as we have now!)

Status
Not open for further replies.