What if someone kills himmself over your video?

SmartTheDumb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Suppose in your video you tell someone "kill yourself", and the dumb455 goes and does it. Are you liable?

Hi!MyNameIsJan

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Cartoonist
No.
Unless you know the person you are adressing isn´t stable and you are influencing them for a long time (aka : they are under your control, for example in a religious cult) you aren´t liable.
I think even when you are bullying a person (in RL or Cyberbullying) you aren´t liable for murder, but you are a pretty s****y person if you do that.
Bullying is in some cases chargable like IMSaiyan pointed out - so nothing that should be done just for fun.
But if you are jokingly saying in a video "please kill yourself" that is dark humor, not a chargable offense.
Thats what i wanted to say.
No legal advise obviously :)

Last edited:

iMSaiyan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
No.
Unless you know the person you are adressing isn´t stable and you are influencing them for a long time (aka : they are under your control, for example in a religious cult) you aren´t liable.
I think even when you are bullying a person (in RL or Cyberbullying) you aren´t liable, but you are a pretty s****y person if you do that.
No legal advise obviously :)
If you are bullying someone in RL and/or Cyberbulling, you are pretty liable and will be charged with something - it's a crime....so yeah definitely shouldn't be giving out any legal advice for sure lol

Hi!MyNameIsJan

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Cartoonist
If you are bullying someone in RL and/or Cyberbulling, you are pretty liable and will be charged with something - it's a crime....so yeah definitely shouldn't be giving out any legal advice for sure lol
Yes but it isn´t murder.
You will get charged for other stuff.
I might need to edit my post to be more clear about that.
Because for murder you will only be charged if the person killing themselves are obedient to you or totally rely on your advise.
Cult member <-> cult leader or kid <-> parent for example.

iMSaiyan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
If you tell someone to kill themselves and they do it, they're not being a dumb-a** its just called cyberbullying and being a complete d**k. I'd rather not get into of the "legal" sides of it lol

GucciCarry

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thats realllllly debatable honestly. Never really thought about that question but a lot of people on the internet say "kys". It'd take a true dumbass to go and do that.

Kush Patel

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
As long as you weren't involved I doubt someone would hold you accountable. You were only the medium. The same exchange could've been taken place in Skype or facebook, but no one would sue the corporation. Now if you were the one to say "kys" yes of course.

Hi!MyNameIsJan

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Cartoonist
If you tell someone to kill themselves and they do it, they're not being a dumb-a** its just called cyberbullying and being a complete d**k. I'd rather not get into of the "legal" sides of it lol
Do you know leafy is here ?
While i find his content not funny and stupid, he frequently uses "kill yourself" or "kys" as a joke, he expresses how bad he thinks the content is. Even more often he says "kill me please". He uses that for humor.
Obviously the context is important but even if meant seriously, nobody that is sane will jump from a bridge if a stranger tells him so.
When you get bullied in the internet and real life by people you see everyday in school, that has a different effect on you. But a random youtube video telling Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump or the viewer to kill themselves just shouldn´t be taken serious.

SmartTheDumb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
I want to make a dark video about ungratefulness, depression etc. And there will be eventually a part telling people to kill themselves. The kill themselves part is just to give the video more impact, and I've even recorded a disclaimer to warn people to click away from the video at that point. But you know.... There might be someone stupid enough to just go jump off a bridge...

Hi!MyNameIsJan

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Cartoonist
I want to make a dark video about ungratefulness, depression etc. And there will be eventually a part telling people to kill themselves. The kill themselves part is just to give the video more impact, and I've even recorded a disclaimer to warn people to click away from the video at that point. But you know.... There might be someone stupid enough to just go jump off a bridge...
Go for it - i think the idea of self censorship just because a topic might be triggering is stupid.
Will you say that suicide is an option ? Will you promote suicide as a viable option ?
That is a very controversial topic, but i think you have already made up your mind about the content.

I personally think every view should be expressed through the internet, and you are definitely not responsible for someone taking the final step. People that are thinking about suicide will probably know all sides of the story by now.