What have you gained from YT? (not including metrics)

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Hey we have plenty of discussion about gaining subs and views, but I'd love to start a thread for you guys to share what other things you have gained.
For example, maybe answer some of these or make some yourself:

In your YouTube journey as a creator so far:

How long have you been a creator, and how many channels?

What skills have you learned?

Did you create or become part of a community or fandom?

Make any friends along the way?

Any life lessons, (good or bad)?

Now go wild :3 I'm curious!

------------------------

now of course I have to do this myself to start the ball rolling...
my answers:

1 channel, been chugging along for 13 years now

I used Flash (called adobe animate now) for a long time, really learned by trial and error how to do things in it, and how things worked.
Recently, I've just started learning how to properly video edit (only basic stuff for me). humble bundle allowed me to grab vegas pro 15 suuuper cheap so I'm finally starting to figure out how to use and render with it, as well as edit sounds and things, its really not the most fun part of creating but a skill I heavily need!
Script writing and storyboarding is another useful skill!
(regardless I still have 0 idea how to use a camera/set up lighting etc.)

I haven't created any communities, but as a long time fan of Pokémon, I've been able to be a part of it's community for the majority of my life. there's also a community of animators online I've been enjoying watching, and they inspire me to improve!

I'm not a big sociality irl or online, but I've definitely met a few people over the years I talk to a lot, most of them are also into the same sort of things I am, but one in particular I met because we were in an official google hangout thing organised by YouTube to talk about some new feature, and we were the only ones left in the call. we got to talking and now we're close friends I'd like to say! I guess I'd class him as my one true youtuber friend haha.

I've had to learn recently not to let every single comment affect me. sometimes people just write whatever is on their mind, and you have to be prepared for the negative along with the positive. It still stings when I get nasty comments, but I try to focus on the good ones, and I turned off sms notifications of comments, because a bad one at a random time of the day when you look at your phone and get called names isn't the sort of thing I was enjoying haha.

on the other hand, I've also learned how to really apply criticism, and used that to improve my content over the years, people really do give you brutally honest opinions, and even if I think they may be wrong, a few comments like that is enough to realise that yes this needs fixed or looked at, and now I feel way better seeing comments saying quality is improving. so yeah, learn to take criticism, because its valuable!

Malasia

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
My communication and public speaking skills have improved from YouTube and its a great place for social proof if your a service based entrepreneur which I am

Reactions: Lightsen

Fost

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Other
barely over a year

Content Creating and Editing

I did both at one point

Plenty

In Many ways its kinda like high school lol

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
This is a great idea! I feel like I've learned to see a "world of possibility" better with YouTube. I don't know if that makes sense...but by taking sneak peeks into people's lives with vlogs and using video to learn new skills, I kind of think anything is possible now. I didn't use to think that...

I've been browsing YouTube since near its beginning -- I made an account around 2006 or so, I think?? I made a few other accounts, but my current music account is the first account I've used while trying to actually be serious with video creating.

Lots about video editing, SEO, audio editing, mixing sounds, lighting, filming... all that stuff. I had no clue about any of it when I started. You'd think they'd teach you something about audio at a music school, but nope. YouTube tutorials saved the day so many times when I got stuck on something lol.

I didn't create a community, but I feel like I've cemented myself into the folk music world more than I would have without YouTube. YouTube pushed me to practice a lot, and constantly recording/listening to my playing made me discover how out of tune or bad certain things sounded. I think I play a lot better now when I go to local folk music sessions than before YouTube.

Local friends, yeah. I have a few Internet friends from YTtalk, too! But I don't think I've met a local friend who takes YouTube really seriously yet... :eek:

Tito Tims Videos

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Main channel is 5 years old. Had a 2nd channel but it was short lived

My public speaking has improved, but on camera is still easier (different) than in person.

There is an expat "community" but it is full of grumpy old men, and too much drama. I chose to avoid it like the plague that it is ha ha

Yes. I have met quite a few subscribers and have become good friends with a few that are in the area. Like spent 3 days over New Year's with them. Good friends are worth more than the money I am not making on YT ha ha

Don't let the trolls get to you. In life or online. It is easier online - I ruthlessly delete idiotic comments, and block trolls. Harder to delete people in the real world :)

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm entering my 7th year uploading to the platform. I'd say the most dramatic change has been my communication skills; I've become an extrovert since starting YouTube. I've made plenty of friends along the way as well. However, I think the most important thing for me has been gaining thick skin. Not much truly gets to me anymore.

Reactions: Lightsen and Fost

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
10 years, I left my first channel to my brother for the new VideoGameMasters09 channel and eventually also started the Mark's Unboxing Zone channel for unboxings.

What little bit of editing I picked up over the years. Scripting and whatnot.

Not really sure, I have some fans but I'm not sure if it's enough to be an actual fanbase or community.

Lots of friends. I think all the crazy stuff and fun experiences we had by filming together brought my IRL friends closer together. I also met some cool people thanks to Youtube, fans of the show that became actual friends.

Despite all the dangers of stalking and whatnot, there are real cool people out there. Also you don't need a big budget and state of the line equipment to have people enjoy your content. Pretty much all you need is a camera and an idea.

DieMan

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Comedian, Gamer
So, I am still rather new to this thing, but just yesterday at work I realized I felt no anxiety about presenting some stuff.

It’s like after I started uploading videos to YouTube, I feel less concerned about how I come across in real life as well, as long as I feel true to myself.

Never thought uploading a few videos could do that lol.