What happened to YouTube

Will Latimer

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
So it's pretty clear that in the last year or so YouTube has gone to shi*t because of this family friendly content rules. It has put a serious restriction on a lot of creators as now they have to bleep every swear word which for some YouTubers is killing their content. I understand that it is beacause they want a child friendly site but isn't that what the YouTube kids app is for? Don't under pay creators becasue a few parents don't monitor their kids and complain when they click on a PewDiePie video and he said f***k? maybe i'm wrong, what are your opinions?

Reactions: AuthenticFINN

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Considering the platform is thriving, I'm not sure Google or YouTube would agree with you. I honestly don't see too much issue with it...there's no restriction on uploading things that aren't family-friendly, they're just allowing advertisers to choose what they want to advertise on. And that's the same as any publishing/broadcasting format. YouTube was in an area where their advertisers were willing to put ads on literally anything, because it pretty much flew under the radar for a very long time. But now, YouTube is becoming fairly mainstream, for better or for worse.

So it's not what it was, but it's a platform that's been around for more than a decade, an online, that's an achievement in itself.

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
For me I only see this restriction if you plan on or currently making money off Youtube. There are so many ways to make money in other areas that Youtube shouldn't be the main unless it already is. You can upload videos of you cursing, reviewing R rated movies (legally of course) and so on. The most you'll get at the moment is an age restriction on your video and not be able to monetize it. But you should be in it cause you love it. Not because of the money. But that's just my opinion.

Youtube will always be a place for entertainment and creation for me and many others. Let the kids and parents have fun with their channels and we'll have fun with ours. You can create anything you want. Not all of it has to go on Youtube anyways. =]

Reetae27

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
To me, it's not that big a deal, because the most creative people are able to work around their limitations. For all the complaining people make about the FCC, and rightfully so in a lot of cases, the fact that remains that a myriad of phenomenal risque shows get made in spite of it, and the same can be true of YouTube. For whatever annoyances it may provide, it's still a free resource that people can use to post videos, and that alone is worth whatever irritations come with it -- which isn't to say that we can't grumble about those irritations, but still.

Also, in my opinion, people were probably more freaked out by white supremacist web sites publicly pledging loyalty to Pewdiepie for making death-to-jews joke videos than for swearing, but that's another topic.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
If I were an advertiser and paying lots of money to YouTube to promote my goods and services, I wouldn't want my company name and brand appearing on a video where the creator is cursing / being racist / inciting violence etc etc. It's not censorship, but companies aren't going to pay creators with inappropriate content.

OrbitGuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yeah YouTube is the wrong person to vent on mostly about this, it's companies who pay for the advertisements who are really paying the creators. If they don't want to pay then you're not going to get money and YouTube really doesn't have much say in that. YouTube isn't paying you, the companies who payed for the advertisements to show are.

You can compare how this is going to a lot of other situations, like television or celebrities with sponsors. Whoever is paying the money does a lot of the talking. If sponsors want a celebrity to conduct themselves in a certain way then that's what they need to do and if they don't and get sent to jail or something the sponsor/endorsement might pull their deal.

It sucks I agree, but at the end of the day it's harder to find companies that want to advertise on that type of content and it's not unique to YouTube. Anytime your content becomes more "adult only", or has possibly offensive stuff in it you're cutting down on the number of companies who will work with you in advertising or sponsorship.

Last edited:
Reactions: chottom

Marseekuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
What? I didn't know that. Since when? I kinda swear a lot :O

Johnny Dee

I've Got It
Reaction score
I once, by accident caught a spider in a jar fighting off 3 ants. It got 600 thousands views, over 600 likes and Youtube blocked it and it is now on another cite.

KingUsher

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
This will be fun news to watch considering like 80% gamer you tubers swear a lot aha and i cant even blame them sometimes we can`t just control ourselves.But seriously does you tube expect us to be editing an entire all video just for swearing...also swearing can also add to the drama so ya youtube seems to not care about people making them money.

Doom Video Vault

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Gamer, Commentator
And what's wrong with new advertisers working with the more mature style videos?

Last edited: