What format do you render to

TigerXtrm

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Lot of people using 720p instead of the full 1080p. Is that purely because it doubles in file size and upload time?

BloominPranks

Reaction score
1080p 24fps mp4. Although I don't notice a difference between my 1080p and 720p videos.

Discern4

Reaction score
1080p h.264 MP4.

If you start with 1080p material, why would you downsize to 720p for sake of upload time? The quality of your videos is more important than an extra hour of upload time. I just click upload and go to bed.

I use Movie Maker 2.6 so I have to render to 720p wmv. Then I slam it through Handbrake to get it into a mkv format that youtube accepts.
I'm pretty sure you're losing quality by doing this. I don't think you can directly convert WMV to MKV without re-processing the video (and thus losing quality). And why MKV? MKV has benefits outside of YouTube like dual audio tracks and inbuilt subtitles. But these features cannot be used with YouTube, so if you want to convert it to a more compatible format, then MP4 is probably a better choice. But YouTube should accept WMV anyway, so I'm not sure why you have to convert it?

vgjfelix

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
1080p h.264 MP4.

If you start with 1080p material, why would you downsize to 720p for sake of upload time? The quality of your videos is more important than an extra hour of upload time. I just click upload and go to bed.

I'm pretty sure you're losing quality by doing this. I don't think you can directly convert WMV to MKV without re-processing the video (and thus losing quality). And why MKV? MKV has benefits outside of YouTube like dual audio tracks and inbuilt subtitles. But these features cannot be used with YouTube, so if you want to convert it to a more compatible format, then MP4 is probably a better choice. But YouTube should accept WMV anyway, so I'm not sure why you have to convert it?
It's a good question. Unfortunately I am very hamstrung by a monthly data allowance cap and poor upload speeds. Uploading 100mb would take about 40 minutes so I really need to reduce my file sizes and I find that converting to mkv reduces the file size by at least a half without too much loss in quality. It's a trade off to be honest.

Also, when I upload my videos I have to do quite a lot of 'marketing' which involves, facebook and forum posts and sending out a notification via my app so I need to be there when the video uploads.

bwochinski

Gaming and Goofing
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator
Uploads are 720p mp4.

I keep the whole workflow in 720p, from recording to uploading.