What exactly does a YouTube partnership entail?

MattyGreen

Music and Mess...
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Hey guys before I ask I just wanna state that I'm nowhere near close at all to wanting to monetize or anything like that, want to grow and make awesome videos first! I just wanted to know from those of you who have monetized, what happens when you become a Youtube partner, like the steps you take after signing up? I'm not talking about networks, I'm talking about the YouTube Partner Program. Thanks :)

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
As far as I am aware, nothing much happens at all. You do get access to certain things, like monetisation (obviously), custom thumbnails I think, youtube help tutorials, surveys, and a couple of other things I can't think of.

you don't have to do anything with youtube, and youtube very rarely has anything to do with you. Its funny really. I get the odd email, but it's just survey stuff.
Honestly, it's worth doing because there's no negative to it.

Although saying that, I think now everyone is automatically partnered with YouTube? either that, or there's no entry requirements any more.

MattyGreen

Music and Mess...
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
As far as I am aware, nothing much happens at all. You do get access to certain things, like monetisation (obviously), custom thumbnails I think, youtube help tutorials, surveys, and a couple of other things I can't think of.

you don't have to do anything with youtube, and youtube very rarely has anything to do with you. Its funny really. I get the odd email, but it's just survey stuff.
Honestly, it's worth doing because there's no negative to it.

Although saying that, I think now everyone is automatically partnered with YouTube? either that, or there's no entry requirements any more.
Oh sweet. Under there thing it says "Monetize your videos and grow your audience" it's the latter which interests me most! What about gameplay and stuff though? I don't wanna get copyright strikes :)

Switchbox

Give me your food
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Other
Oh sweet. Under there thing it says "Monetize your videos and grow your audience" it's the latter which interests me most! What about gameplay and stuff though? I don't wanna get copyright strikes :)
You can still say OK to it, just don't activate monetization on your gameplay videos. :)
It's good to do this, so you can put custom thumbnails on your videos.

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I wouldn't be able to help you on gameplay. I know certain games like Minecraft encourage it, but others can cause strikes on your account.

Technomania

its over 9000!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
its not worth monetizing your videos at zero subscribers because you a agree to never make a copyright video so your videos will be limited and builds a slow painful fan base. another thing about it is that once you get a strike you can never undo it then you lose your youtube partnership, i experience it when i had my channel striked and now i can't partnered with youtube with it. you can make another channel on the same account and get youtube partnership but you'll lose everything from the first channel.

CoolMoo5

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You just have a click a button that says "monetize my videos." or something like that. Being a YouTube partner doesn't mean much but you now represent the YouTube community so I"m pretty sure it is easier to community guidelines and copyright strikes vs a non partner. You will get money but you can't get paid unless you make a google adsense account and then you have to earn $100. So there are tons of partners who don't even get any money because they don't have an adsense account and/or they haven't made $100

Reactions: Lightsen