What do you think of these?

coliwob

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/135W-Continuous-Lamp-Bulb-Photography-Photo-Umbrella-light-Stand-Studio-Kit-Set-/161944589573?hash=item25b4a65505:g:YkAAAOSwZG9WlNCE

I am doing a cooking show from my kitchen, its mostly white but only 2 light sources are the normal lightbulb above my head and the window - and the sun is going down.

I was looking for some lights to make things easier during the winter with the short nights because my cameras aren't the best when things get dim.

Just wondered what the yttalk experts think.

Thanks

Americanclue

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I have the same lightbulbs, I don't know about the rest, but I suggest you get one big lightbulb which works very effectively. You really want to match the lighting evenly, so I personally wouldn't get one. Here's the bigger one I have

Planet-Light-Watt-Compact-Fluorescent/dp/B016CFWWES

add this to an amazon link to see what I'm talking about

coliwob

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I have the same lightbulbs, I don't know about the rest, but I suggest you get one big lightbulb which works very effectively. You really want to match the lighting evenly, so I personally wouldn't get one. Here's the bigger one I have

Planet-Light-Watt-Compact-Fluorescent/dp/B016CFWWES

add this to an amazon link to see what I'm talking about
The colour difference between my cameras is like 1000K or something ridiculous like that. Maybe not quite that much. So a few degrees between different bulbs isn't something that would really bother me - or maybe it would I haven't really experienced it, good to be aware of it though for when the time comes.
That bulb looks like a good replacement for my kitchen light though, might just be enough to do the job at night. I'll give it a try.

I do like the idea of having soft boxes or unbrellas though - I know its childish - but it feels really pro to me. 31 years old would you believe.

Shehzad

The Brown Fudge
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'd say check this video out for some tips, those light bulbs are decently priced. I would bounce some light off white backgrounds onto your face. I suggest not using the lightbulb that's overhanging your head because depending on it's placement it can create harsh shadows on your face if it's above you. You need to make sure that light is being reflected onto your face which can be achieved by bouncing light off a background as shown in the video. And I wouldn't say umbrella's are childish at all you can find some really cheap standing lamps on Amazon to help you achieve good lighting. Hope the video helps!

Last edited:

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
It doesn't look like too terrible a price for those two lights. I have two lights with the same bulbs (different light boxes, though) and the pair cost me $50 on Amazon, so that's comparable. They work very well for me, though they can be harsh and blue if you don't get them right.

Americanclue

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
The colour difference between my cameras is like 1000K or something ridiculous like that. Maybe not quite that much. So a few degrees between different bulbs isn't something that would really bother me - or maybe it would I haven't really experienced it, good to be aware of it though for when the time comes.
That bulb looks like a good replacement for my kitchen light though, might just be enough to do the job at night. I'll give it a try.

I do like the idea of having soft boxes or unbrellas though - I know its childish - but it feels really pro to me. 31 years old would you believe.
Sorry for such a late response, but I would get a reflector umbrella for it also. You don't necessarily need a softbox, the reflector will make it easier.

Reactions: coliwob