What do you feel is the hardest subscriber milestone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeGuyDude

Just some guy, dude.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I feel like getting to 100 is the hardest milestone, because I consider YouTube like a small business. The next milestone that would rival this is finding true fans of what you are actually creating, and not some other creator who just wants you to sub to him/her and leave the generic "nice" comment on your video to gain your viewership. I was able to get to 500 on my old channel. but that first 100 was rough, and to find true ans was even tougher.
One of my minor... complaints in the YouTube world is how often it appears that smaller channels' viewership bases are really just giant networks of all of these channels subscribing to one another. Especially in the gaming world. It's like when I worked at a bar, I noticed that most of the bartenders would spend their nights off at other bars, and they'd always leave good tips. It made me wonder how much money existed in the world that did nothing but travel from one bar's tip jar to another, never actually spent on anything, never deposited or used for goods.

I think, for the most part, small YouTubers do want to band together, and genuinely do want to support one another and probably really do just subscribe to the ones they honestly like. However, it does leave you wondering how much work it takes to start amassing a following of people who really are just fans from the outside, and not PART of the little ecosystem.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
One of my minor... complaints in the YouTube world is how often it appears that smaller channels' viewership bases are really just giant networks of all of these channels subscribing to one another. Especially in the gaming world. It's like when I worked at a bar, I noticed that most of the bartenders would spend their nights off at other bars, and they'd always leave good tips. It made me wonder how much money existed in the world that did nothing but travel from one bar's tip jar to another, never actually spent on anything, never deposited or used for goods.

I think, for the most part, small YouTubers do want to band together, and genuinely do want to support one another and probably really do just subscribe to the ones they honestly like. However, it does leave you wondering how much work it takes to start amassing a following of people who really are just fans from the outside, and not PART of the little ecosystem.
Exactly, I was a gamer before this new channel. I could only get the same people to like me, and even then, they were too busy with their own channel and just doing the like for like thing that gets annoying. Long story short, I think that's how YouTube is now. Not many viewers, and too many content creators. I get that you would want something in return if you follow someone, but what ever happened to really enjoying something for what it was worth? I know I put a lot of effort into my creations, but to have continued with the like for like mentality, it would have driven me crazy. Now I just do what I want, and not worry about it. If someone likes it, awesome, if they don't and all they want is something in return from me, well I just ignore and block. I am too old for those games.

SomeGuyDude

Just some guy, dude.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Not many viewers, and too many content creators.
Sad but true. And it's not like I'm not contributing to the ocean of "me too" channels. The fanbases have turned into creators themselves, and to a real extent it seems like a lot of us are helping each other but undoubtedly we all want to get to that point where it's grown past that.

I'm not saying this judgmentally of YouTubers who sub to other YouTubers, not by a long shot. Rather, it's that the real barrier isn't necessarily X subscribers, it's getting subscribers who are PURELY subscribers. People who aren't in the "industry" themselves. I know when I sub to someone and they see that I also make those videos they won't have that same feeling as if I was just a pure viewer. If you're an LP'er with 500 subs that are all also LP'ers, then you still haven't "broken out" so to speak.

Reactions: dogmonkE Studios
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Sad but true. And it's not like I'm not contributing to the ocean of "me too" channels. The fanbases have turned into creators themselves, and to a real extent it seems like a lot of us are helping each other but undoubtedly we all want to get to that point where it's grown past that.

I'm not saying this judgmentally of YouTubers who sub to other YouTubers, not by a long shot. Rather, it's that the real barrier isn't necessarily X subscribers, it's getting subscribers who are PURELY subscribers. People who aren't in the "industry" themselves. I know when I sub to someone and they see that I also make those videos they won't have that same feeling as if I was just a pure viewer. If you're an LP'er with 500 subs that are all also LP'ers, then you still haven't "broken out" so to speak.
Sorry, when I use "you" I am referring to the generalization of the word, not you specifically. We had a long conversation in my English class in college about how "we" use the term "you" too much, and it just really isn't fair because not everyone is like the "you" I am referring to. So I wasn't saying anything about you, lol. Are you confused? Too many "you" in here lol.

SomeGuyDude

Just some guy, dude.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Sorry, when I use "you" I am referring to the generalization of the word, not you specifically. We had a long conversation in my English class in college about how "we" use the term "you" too much, and it just really isn't fair because not everyone is like the "you" I am referring to. So I wasn't saying anything about you, lol. Are you confused? Too many "you" in here lol.
Haha, no no man it's cool. I was agreeing with you 100%. You're totally right on all points. I was just adding to what you said.

Reactions: dogmonkE Studios
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Haha, no no man it's cool. I was agreeing with you 100%. You're totally right on all points. I was just adding to what you said.
Ok thanks man, it's my first day here and I don't want to get into a misunderstanding lol. I appreciate people who can add to my points, and you are right man. It's the sad reality what social media has become these days.

BarbMollyTV

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I would probably say either the first 100 subs or probably about 1,000 or so would prob be the hardest/longest to pass.

Peyton Moore

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer
I never even thought I would get to 30, but I'm at a strong 181 subs, so I think that 100 subs is the hardest to get to, because you have to post videos that people think are interesting.

DoneDat

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian, Gamer, Other
Getting foreign and unknown (for me) people to watch your video and staying tuned.
I find this difficult in the beginning for sure since I only recently started Youtubing :)

Stay Awesome!

Harley Pring

Tastemaker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Other
The first thousand I believe is the hardest. You're starting from nowhere & have to build your entire fanbase from nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.