What do you do about videos that you think suck?

Kaleido

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Quick rundown; my channel is mostly about fixing my project cars these days, with the occasional roadtrip/car show thrown in.

About a month ago, I released a video where we replace the front brakes on my Jeep. Now, I LOVE this video, I thought it was one of the better ones I've ever released. We were in a really good mood when we shot it, the banter is funny, and it flows really well. It's pretty much the content I want to make in a nutshell, so I was really pleased when I uploaded it.

We then filmed a video where we do the rear brakes the next weekend. Here's the problem; during that video we got really demoralized (Drum brakes are a nightmare, never change them yourself, just go to a shop. That's what I learned) so there's barely any funny banter, the shots are boring and don't flow well because after a certain point we both pretty much gave up on filming so it just sat on the tripod rolling while we were trying to figure out what we wanted to do with the brakes. We basically hit a wall in real life that strongly affected how we come off on camera and the entertainment/motivational value that I want to convey was completely lost.

In short; the video sucks. There's a few funny moments, but overall it's unwatchable for me. It's sitting in a half-cut state on my harddrive for a month now, and I just don't know what to do with it. The issue I have is that there's very much an overall storyline to a lot of the stuff we do, we talked a lot about doing the rear brakes in the front brakes video, and it fits into the "Cherokee project" timeline... so I feel like I need to release something about it to show we actually did it.

So, what do you do when your video comes out a lot worse than you thought? Do you just dump it? Release it anyway? Should I make a vlog essentially saying "look, we tried to do a thing but the footage is garbage, you don't want to see it, just pretend we did the rear brakes, thx"?

I've been thinking about this for a month and can't figure out what the right course of action is, and my channel is suffering as a result (no content coming out lately). What do you think I should do?

Jawad Soomro

I'm a Human!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
Sometimes, if the views are less, I would make them private or else delete :D
Thankfully most of my videos are in safe zone :D

Reactions: Kaleido

Kaleido

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Sometimes, if the views are less, I would make them private or else delete :D
Thankfully most of my videos are in safe zone :D
So you would just release it anyway then remove if it does bad? That seems... pointless. Especially cause most of my videos don't get many views lol

I leave them there to humiliate or cringe at myself in the future to
hahahah that's one way to do it I guess. I can't even finish cutting it it's so cringy though...

Reactions: iBreakMatter

Nikki120113

YTTalk's Cookie Pizza
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Other
Perhaps make a new vlog explaining it & showing your viewers the important bits of the footage that they would want/need to know about the project so that at least you'll have something up :)

Furry Gurus

I'm a girl!
Reaction score
I wouldn't upload it. And if anybody asks, just tell them it didn't work... I have lots of half edited videos like that. A lot of footage that I never used. You shouldn't compromise on your video quality I think...[DOUBLEPOST=1432631277,1432631227][/DOUBLEPOST]
Perhaps make a new vlog explaining it & showing your viewers the important bits of the footage that they would want/need to know about the project so that at least you'll have something up :)
This would work as well I think.

Jawad Soomro

I'm a Human!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
So you would just release it anyway then remove if it does bad? That seems... pointless. Especially cause most of my videos don't get many views lol

hahahah that's one way to do it I guess. I can't even finish cutting it it's so cringy though...
If u r saying I upload without checking it many times, then i won't even upload... I would make sure that all of my videos are well edited to be uploaded! If something is boring, I would edit and upload again!

Kaleido

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yea, I was sorta leaning in that direction. The problem is that's a whole 'nother video to record, it's like double the work to make something that sucks exist. Feels like putting a lot more work into something that's going to end up disappointing anyway haha

It's worth exploring, though. I might sit down with the friend I record with and we can just talk s**t about ourselves/how bad the video ended up. That might be fun to do lol

I wouldn't upload it. And if anybody asks, just tell them it didn't work... I have lots of half edited videos like that. A lot of footage that I never used. You shouldn't compromise on your video quality I think...
See, this is my gut reaction. I want every video I make to be better than the last, so having a huge setback like this is really demoralizing. We had a good roll going where videos were getting better and better, and then suddenly it's just trash. It's tough to salvage and I don't want it to negatively impact my channel.

That said, the last video I thought was complete trash like this one is now the most watched on my channel, so maybe I just have no idea what people like and it's better than I think... but I don't see it. It just looks crap to me...

Reactions: Furry Gurus

Nikki120113

YTTalk's Cookie Pizza
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Other
Yea, I was sorta leaning in that direction. The problem is that's a whole 'nother video to record, it's like double the work to make something that sucks exist. Feels like putting a lot more work into something that's going to end up disappointing anyway haha

It's worth exploring, though. I might sit down with the friend I record with and we can just talk s**t about ourselves/how bad the video ended up. That might be fun to do lol
Don't think negative about it. If you put in the effort & think positive, it'll end up fine. You don't even need to do much more recording really, you just need to explain the lack of upload, update on whats happening, tell them about the update on the project then show some bits & pieces of the footage.

If you say negative things about your video, you'll attract more negativity with it. So i suggest to keep it positive :)

Reactions: Kaleido

Kaleido

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If you say negative things about your video, you'll attract more negativity with it. So i suggest to keep it positive :)
That is really good advice, actually.

I was more thinking not from the angle of "ugh we suck so much" but more like "LOL what the heck are we doing?" so definitely a positive angle, but it deserves making fun of I think haha