what did i do right on this video

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
so my video I posted last week ended up doing way better on initial views/watch time than any video I have previously posted. I really didn't think it was that great of a video, I am normally pretty critical of my own video's though. but I didn't think the end product was that great I figured it would do ok but it did around 500 views in its first 48 hours witch is slightly better than average holding around a 8 min average view duration for the first 48 hours then it really took off for a while doing around 1000 views per day and its best day had over 8k watch mins in a single day on that video alone channel wide was something like 8 days almost 200 hours on that day, it has mellowed out a bit sense then seems to be settling in around 250 daily views.

im not really sure what made this video do so well. the topic is slightly off topic from my normal video's maybe I just stumbled into a larger potential audience?

any way I can pick out lots of things I did wrong with this video but my video's generally grow over a long period of time rather than getting lots of views and watch time in a short period of time. I can't really pick out what elements made this video do so well. I was wondering if some of you might be able to pick out some things I might have did that helped this video do so much better than average for a new upload. so maybe I can try to incorporate those elements into more of my video's

seems how that video did so well I went ahead and did the follow up video to the first one this week I had originally planned to do a different topic for this week, its a little early to tell if that one will have the same success as the first one as that video just posted today but I feel I did a better job on this weeks video in editing and filming than I did on the first one that I felt was kinda mediocre

I am certainly open to criticism and pointers for improvement but mostly kind of scratching my head wondering what I did right and how can I re-create those results more often.

Reactions: vitofaber

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
so the plot thickens, so the follow up video has had a bit of time to mature. both video's use very similar key words in the title description as well as tags.

the follow up video I feel has a better thumbnail. the follow up video has better audience retention. and a more normal retention curve the first one has some ups and downs. first video has lower overall retention but does have about 1min longer average view duration but its something like 4 mins longer in total length. the new video followed a very similar watch time % as well as view rate for the initial 48 hours but after 48 hours the follow up video slowed down and that Is where the first one took off.

I would still consider the follow up video to still be a successful video and is still running in my top 4 video's but the first one has even picked back up again and running about 750 daily views right now, still don't understand what made that video more special.

vitofaber

I've Got It
Reaction score
i think, just thinking but not sure.
your first video only focus on review the machine. it's the only thing that most people care about.
if you have a affiliate link in your description, you can earn much money as a collaborator.

Reactions: Ezrider92356

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
they are both a review of the machine, just the first one is kind of a first impressions and doing a project using one feature of it, then the second video is a bit more of a in depth review of its additional functions. there were a lot of people commenting on the first one asking for a more in-depth review of the other functions/features. hints the reason for the second video on the same topic.

I do feel I had a better call to action on the first video

I also thought it might be helpful to include some screen shots of the relative audience retention for both video's as well

this one is for the first video
upload_2018-12-13_23-29-46.png

second video
upload_2018-12-13_23-32-1.png

I find it interesting because audience retention re-affirms the feelings I had that I did a much better job filming and editing the second video, by all analytical data the second video should be out preforming the first. rather than the other way around.

no affiliate links, in either video. I have been torn with myself on weather or not to apply to the amazon affiliate program. I find a lot of affiliate links/video's to be off-putting as a viewer. I also believe strongly in supporting brick and mortar stores in person over online shopping. I also don't generally do review video's most my content is more how to related, I do a lot of mechanic related video's mostly on large trucks and some automotive and equipment.

Last edited:

VidaDeJeremiah

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
First comment on first vid says it all. First Review they’ve seen of this particular product. A lot of people might be looking for the same thing, you’re the only review they’ll automatically watch yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ezrider92356

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
So, maybe most people care about short reviews, rarely care about depth reviews
maybe but the second more indepth review has better audience retention witch to me means people are more interested in the more detailed review.

First comment on first vid says it all. First Review they’ve seen of this particular product. A lot of people might be looking for the same thing, you’re the only review they’ll automatically watch yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
true, but it wasn't the first review for that series, there was several others already it was the first for that exact model I am sure that was a factor but I don't think that was the whole story, the first more successful video wasn't really a formal review, the second was much more of what you would typically see as a review video. other people have sense done review video's on this exact model as well. but mine is still continuing to preform well.

maybe its the project I used for the first video, although analytics indicate people were less interested in the project than the welder. maybe due to the fact that it was a demanding project for that type of welder created a curiosity to people who might not be specifically looking for a review on that product creating a larger audience potential. would also explain the more views with less retention, may just be the first video attracted a wider but overall less interested audience, where the more formal review is more targeted hints better retention but less overall views.

that is something to scratch the ole noggin over, if you guys cant tell I tend to over think things but I think its worth analyzing may find a useful nugget of information buried in the results somewhere...lol

vitofaber

I've Got It
Reaction score
i notice that, most people focus on the moment that you unbox machine then they glimpse some short reviews