What determines which resolution a video defaults to?

TomPetty

Reaction score
I have other related questions, but I need to understand this first. When I go to youtube to watch a video link someone has posted, what determines which image quality resolution (e.g. 480, 720, 1080, etc.) it will play at, as my default?

Any help would be welcomed.

Tom

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
interesting, it should be on auto so it will choose resolution for you whichever is smoother given the connection speed on your end & on YouTube end

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
From my experience - It's usually the last resolution that you had set when watching a video. If it's on "auto", it will choose the resolution that best matches your connection speed.

TomPetty

Reaction score
From my experience - It's usually the last resolution that you had set when watching a video. If it's on "auto", it will choose the resolution that best matches your connection speed.
If that is the case, then I should render my video in the most commonly used setting.
Which HD setting is more commonly used by youtube viewers...720, or, 1080?

Last edited:

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
If that is the case, then I should render my video in the most commonly used setting.
Which HD setting is more commonly used by youtube viewers...720, or, 1080?
1080, if possible. Remember, more and more people watch YouTube on their TVs now.

TomPetty

Reaction score
1080, if possible. Remember, more and more people watch YouTube on their TVs now.
Thanks, Crown (and also mirrorlessNY(youtuber)).

It's probably best I just spell it all out for ya, the dilemma I'm facing. I edited a video which consists of copy I've typed, old photographs, and old film (circa 1974), in Elements 14. When I went to render the video, the default setting was on 480. Not happy with the quality of the images (still and moving), I tried rendering it at various other resolutions. When comparing them, just using my eye test, this is what I got:

Best quality: 1440 x 1080.
2nd best: 1280 x 720. (This was a VERY close second.)
3rd best: 1920 x 1080. (This was not very good. Not much better than the default 480 I started with.)

So, I went with 1440 x 1080, even though it required I re-crop several photographs in my video. My goal is to attain the BEST possible image quality, I didn't mind doin' that extra work of re-cropping.

I thought everything was hunky-dory, and uploaded the video to youtube. It played it at 1080, and looked terrific. But, before I published it to the public, I did a quick test with a few friends, sending them the unlisted link, and asking them what their devices were playing my video at. Unfortunately, I got the following results:

Friend 1: his desktop played it at 720, and his phone played it at 480
Friend 2: his laptop played it at 480, and his phone played it at 480
Friend 3: her tablet played it at 720, and her phone played it at 720

I was surprised by these results, because in my ignorance, I thought youtube would detect what resolution I had rendered the video at, and set the default there automatically for anyone who opens the link. I guess it doesn't work that way.

The problem is, when I've rendered the video at 1440 x 1080, it looks considerably worse when youtube plays it at 1280 x 720. Same thing when it plays it at 480.

So my question is this. Other than putting a request at the start of my video for viewers to make sure it's set at 1080, what can I do to best ensure that people will see it in the best quality possible?

Thanks for listening.

Tom

Last edited:

TomPetty

Reaction score
but your friends still have the 1080p option, it's just not automatically selected?
request at start "select best quality at 1080p"
I said "other than making that request", because I know my viewers and 90% of them will ignore such a request and just watch it