What computer / rig do YOU use for editing and rendering?

James Azurin

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Vlogger, Gamer
I'm currently working on a potato.

5-6 year old MacBook Pro,
2.55GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 gb Ram.

Because no usb3 slots transferring footage from camera takes hours.
Working in Premier drives me insane.

I just have to stick the potato out until December when I can finally get back on a decent pc again.
I feel your potato pain, for sure! What happens in December? Are you buying a new one or going back to something you already own?

Reactions: ChineseIrish

ChineseIrish

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I feel your potato pain, for sure! What happens in December? Are you buying a new one or going back to something you already own?
Finally moving city and going back to something I own.
Intel i5 and 8 gigs ram.
Finally I'll be able to use after effects and premier again at the same time. Video production value will suddenly get a +5. ^^

Reactions: James Azurin

James Azurin

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Finally moving city and going back to something I own.
Intel i5 and 8 gigs ram.
Finally I'll be able to use after effects and premier again at the same time. Video production value will suddenly get a +5. ^^
Haha I completely understand why you're excited! Does working from an older computer just increase your work times and make things inconvenient? Hopefully it doesn't degrade the quality of your videos too much?

ChineseIrish

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Haha I completely understand why you're excited! Does working from an older computer just increase your work times and make things inconvenient? Hopefully it doesn't degrade the quality of your videos too much?
Right now, after effects isn't an option. I get enough spinning pinwheel action from Premier just doing straight forward editing with a few effects and colour adjustments. Simply adding too many text layers and trying to preview makes my cpu chug like its 1999.

It's annoying but still... First world problems ^^

James Azurin

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Oh wow. It'll be a drastic step back up for sure. Why didn't you bring your more capable system with you?

ChineseIrish

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
A short term thing ended up turning into a year long thing. Also at that time, youtube was just something i dabbled in. I didn't think that I would get into it as much as I am now. Or have people actually waiting to watch my videos. ^^

But it's cool. If I had after effects I probably would have stayed filming at home all the time and just vfx some interesting things happening in the background or what not. So because I couldn't, I started filming outside and in public places a lot for an interesting looking background. It was scary at first but I'm so glad I pushed myself to do it. Now I don't mind too much filming outside and it makes my videos stand out.

James Azurin

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
A short term thing ended up turning into a year long thing. Also at that time, youtube was just something i dabbled in. I didn't think that I would get into it as much as I am now. Or have people actually waiting to watch my videos. ^^

But it's cool. If I had after effects I probably would have stayed filming at home all the time and just vfx some interesting things happening in the background or what not. So because I couldn't, I started filming outside and in public places a lot for an interesting looking background. It was scary at first but I'm so glad I pushed myself to do it. Now I don't mind too much filming outside and it makes my videos stand out.
I understand. Now you're more invested, but at the same time, you don't have as much creation power as you used to. But that's really cool that you're getting into it!

I'm sort of going through that too, where I'm getting invested in filming things and getting to the point where I don't have to worry about taking videos all the time.

optimist

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
i7-5820k CPU 3.30GHz
16 GB RAM DDR4
GTX 970 Graphics Card

For editing I use Adobe Premiere Pro & After Effects. Also do some stuff on Cinema 4D and Realflow.

James Azurin

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
i7-5820k CPU 3.30GHz
16 GB RAM DDR4
GTX 970 Graphics Card

For editing I use Adobe Premiere Pro & After Effects. Also do some stuff on Cinema 4D and Realflow.
Ah, the 5820k. I hope it's treating you well? The performance must be impressive. How's the 970? I'm debating between that and the 390 for my upcoming build.

optimist

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Yeah it is nice to have no limitations on what I want to do as the pc can handle anything with no issue.

The 970 is really good, got it hooked up to a 34" curved monitor. I may get the 980 next year and one with a backplate already on it as the 970 I have sags a little!