What Camera?

Peter Allan

Reaction score
I'm just starting out and would like to get a camera to produce videos. The HP webcam that sits on my monitor is not easily manoeuvrable,...

Can you folks suggest an inexpensive, mid range camera?

Stike96

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It may not be a good idea to invest too much into your channel until you know that you want to stick with it unless you want to use that equipment for other things too. If you do want to invest though DSLRs are expensive but have the advantage of having a manual mode, interchangeable lenses and removable storage. Your phone may have manual mode though, and while it doesn't have the other two advantages it probably would have a good quality camera, so you could even just start off with that. If you want it to be manoeuvrable you could just get a small tripod (or a gorilla pod) and put one of those phone holders you find on selfie sticks on the tip (at least that's where mine is from anyway, just make sure that they have the hole on the bottom that can screw into a tripod).

Webcams are actually totally fine for gaming though since you won't be moving around and your video will be small most of the time so it's not the end of the world if it's not a high resolution.

Audio and lighting are much more important, I'd recommend looking to get a good quality microphone before upgrading your camera. It may also be worth getting some lighting (i've got some cheap softboxes off eBay that do the job) or try to get a lot of natural light in, however you want to do it just try to get the video well lit.

Reactions: Peter Allan

Peter Allan

Reaction score
Thanks for your detailed and considerate reply.

I shall concentrate on microphone first, as you suggest, and will improvise with the webcam.

I want to video from a top down viewpoint, onto the top of the desk. It might be a sketch pad, or an arrangement of objects, whatever, I'd like the cam recording a desk top space of approximately 2' by 2'.

If i use the webcam, I'll have to develop some sort of clamp to hold it to some sort of support, that will allow it to be suspended over the desk, and yet still allow use of the desk surface. I can probably cobble something together with a visit to my local builder's hardware... maybe some hot glue...
But, I suspect some camera store will have exactly the parts I need.. I just gotta find them.

For lighting, for now we'll have to rely on standard household lamps, and a clamp work lamp. We'll see how that works out.

I'm gonna check out amazon for camera accessories. if you have any suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.

Thanks[DOUBLEPOST=1511106042,1511104443][/DOUBLEPOST]I think I've found what I need..

They call it:

Desk Clamp Mount Suspension Boom Scissor Arm Tripod Stand Holder for Logitech Webcam C922 C930e C930 C920 C615

Reaction score
Shameless plug for my website. I was once in your shoes and couldn't figure out what to do. Long story short, I used a GoPro with external microphone to record my videos. Now however, I wish I had a decent camera with an external microphone port. It would've made syncing a whole lot easier (although manually doing it isn't difficult, just time consuming).
When you're starting out, of course price is an issue. But if you think long term, and you invest low in the beginning, you may outgrow it and want to upgrade. Then, it's going to cost you more than if you just got something decent for starters.
I always suggest microphone>camera. Why? Because people will switch to a different video if your audio sucks but will likely cut you slack if the video is slightly bad but you have great audio.
If you want to read some reviews, click on my image to the left and hit up my website. I review both cameras and microphones there.

Reactions: Peter Allan