What Are YOUR Thoughts on "Self-Promotion"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AwesomeBomber

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
So, what I mean by self-promotion is when people go around on other people's channels with the sole purpose being to promote their own content/channel. Personally, I'd say I'm a big advocate against this and whenever I ask any of my friends and acquaintances, who are also YouTubers, there seems to be a massive amount of dislike, close to hatred, for the practice. However, there is one example (Not going to give any names) of someone I knew who was strongly against this BUT when his channel wasn't growing as fast as he'd hoped, he started spamming comment sections with self-promotion.

It was quite interesting to see to be honest and I'm just curious what people on YTTalk's opinions are. Don't worry, I'm reserving judgement, this is just for discussion purposes and I ask for anyone who disagrees with one another discuss it as opposed to simply insulting anyone :)

DaRealApollo

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
When I started making YouTube videos, the one thing I told myself not to do is to beg for views because it's the dumbest possible thing that you can do. I reply to all of my comments, but whenever I see a spam one where it asks me to "check out my youtube channel" or "sub4sub", I cringe a little. Anyone that has to resort to this probably has a really bad channel, and it makes him or her look bad.

XXLRay

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
The problem is that it can actually work if you do it right. I am totally against trying it if you don't know what you are doing.

Reactions: BillyVlogsTV

GamingRack

GamingRack
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
well Im very against it the same way as name dropping big youtubers in tags and titles for views, if you cant get attention off your own merrit then you shouldnt be trying to force people to watch your stuff lol besides youtube is for fun man.

AwesomeBomber

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
When I started making YouTube videos, the one thing I told myself not to do is to beg for views because it's the dumbest possible thing that you can do. I reply to all of my comments, but whenever I see a spam one where it asks me to "check out my youtube channel" or "sub4sub", I cringe a little. Anyone that has to resort to this probably has a really bad channel, and it makes him or her look bad.
Yeah, I agree. I think one of the other reasons I really don't like it is due to the fact that I feel like I'd lose some dignity if I did it, you know?

XXLRay

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
The problem is that it can actually work if you do it right. I am totally against trying it if you don't know what you are doing. Obviously it's a distasteful technique.

GamingRack

GamingRack
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The problem is that it can actually work if you do it right
can it? i thought people just ignored those kinds of posts and as far as i see they always generate hate.

Jawad Soomro

I'm a Human!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
I really hate when people don't leave genuine comments on my videos, instead they self promote themselves to check out their channel. Like you said the person against spamming thingy started spamming himself. it happens sometimes with some youtubers but I would never spam and beg for views like this.

AwesomeBomber

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
can it? i thought people just ignored those kinds of posts and as far as i see they always generate hate.
Depends who it's done to. If you post that kind of comment to someone else who posts those kinds of comments it becomes somewhat if a circle-jerk really xD

Reactions: XXLRay

XXLRay

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Unfortunately people don't just ignore such posts. They tend to go to the channel to spread some hate especially when the post is worded the right way. If you then can present a top notch channel it's a win for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.