What are the risks?

jessica3

Hi, I am gonna say my life story and then bring in YouTube at the end; I just feel like it's all important.

I'm a college student who probably watches too much YouTube honestly. I'm 21, and I feel like a lot of YouTube is targeting at the 13-16 yo audience, so I feel silly, but that's okay. It probably has to do with the fact that I'm trans and watch a lot of trans YouTubers. If you're transphobic, well, sorry. I'm pre-transition, so I guess I am dealing with the insecurities of all of that. I am studying to be a foreign language teacher, but I feel that the more I go into the major, the less unsure I am of all of it. I honestly think it would be a good career choice later in life; I wanna spend my 20s doing more artistic stuff.

I grew up always loving music and wanting to be a singer ever since I was little, and now that I am 21, it still hasn't gone away. I am studying to be a high school teacher right now (like I said) and that is what I do "full time", but I have always had a dream to make content on YouTube or to make music. I know right before college, I still had this dream, but my parents shamed me and basically told me to grow up, but I feel like it's not going away, you know?

My passion for music has kind of manifested into video; I would like to make my own music and music videos, and then I think it would be cool to make vlogs and more personable videos at the same time. I honestly picture myself doing both. I also speak a second language and would make videos in that language as well, so that could be helpful. I actually have a YouTube channel that I haven't touched for a while with 80 subscribers. The most success I had was with a now deleted video about an actor and me ranting about it. It had 1000 views. I never have had a great camera or editing, but I see that there are huge YouTubers who literally record on iPhones, so I don't feel too worried about it.

TLDR: I'm just scared of going all in with this and failing and then not being able to get a career in what I studied. I'm also scared of getting success and then being dropped instantly; tbh I know I get obsessed with YouTubers and then get tired of them pretty fast. What should I do?

Don't be scared. The only thing to be scared of is not trying to go after your dreams. Its easy to settle. Take my word. I'm going after my 3 dream right now as a youtuber. You can always get a job, dreams are hard to come by. And its a ton of work, but the work is easy if you love it.

Go for it but DONT quit your day job:) And dont be scared/worry about succes cause as you will find out getting "succes" is VERY hard on YouTube (of course it depends on what you mean by succes, but if you are talking about making a living of YT you will find that it´s hard). But again I think you should go for it and invest all the free time you got at the moment and if it goes big you can quit your job and do YT full time:)

Go ahead and make videos, while keeping your day job, so you could see if youtube is for you! if you like it, then continue doing it. People will always have opinions about, so if you want to do, then (in this case anyway) you should do it!

Hi, I am gonna say my life story and then bring in YouTube at the end; I just feel like it's all important.

I'm a college student who probably watches too much YouTube honestly. I'm 21, and I feel like a lot of YouTube is targeting at the 13-16 yo audience, so I feel silly, but that's okay. It probably has to do with the fact that I'm trans and watch a lot of trans YouTubers. If you're transphobic, well, sorry. I'm pre-transition, so I guess I am dealing with the insecurities of all of that. I am studying to be a foreign language teacher, but I feel that the more I go into the major, the less unsure I am of all of it. I honestly think it would be a good career choice later in life; I wanna spend my 20s doing more artistic stuff.

I grew up always loving music and wanting to be a singer ever since I was little, and now that I am 21, it still hasn't gone away. I am studying to be a high school teacher right now (like I said) and that is what I do "full time", but I have always had a dream to make content on YouTube or to make music. I know right before college, I still had this dream, but my parents shamed me and basically told me to grow up, but I feel like it's not going away, you know?

My passion for music has kind of manifested into video; I would like to make my own music and music videos, and then I think it would be cool to make vlogs and more personable videos at the same time. I honestly picture myself doing both. I also speak a second language and would make videos in that language as well, so that could be helpful. I actually have a YouTube channel that I haven't touched for a while with 80 subscribers. The most success I had was with a now deleted video about an actor and me ranting about it. It had 1000 views. I never have had a great camera or editing, but I see that there are huge YouTubers who literally record on iPhones, so I don't feel too worried about it.

TLDR: I'm just scared of going all in with this and failing and then not being able to get a career in what I studied. I'm also scared of getting success and then being dropped instantly; tbh I know I get obsessed with YouTubers and then get tired of them pretty fast. What should I do?
I started doing YouTube because I always wanted to be a singer and actress, I was in several acting classes and voice classes, I was in the school choir, drama club, musical theater, performance and production and I took piano. A year after I graduated high school I started making videos because I wanted to pursue those dreams. I’m now going back to school for cosmetology, but I’m still going to do youtube. You can’t be afraid even if it doesn’t work out at least you can say you tried.

My career is music (both performing and teaching) and I started really taking the videos more seriously. You can definitely do both! The great thing about YouTube is that you choose what you want to put up- I show performances, teaching, joke videos, vlogs, etc. I say GO FOR IT! Once you do it you can always take it down if you don't like it, but the regret of not doing it would be much worse (imo). Good luck with everything!!

Back