What are the pros and cons of starting a second channel under these specific circumstances?

HollywoodScotty

I have a channel that I have been using for gaming content for about four years in conjunction with twitch streaming. The channel gathered something like 3k subscribers and my most watched video was ~30k views, while most uploads capped around 4-8k views before falling into obscurity.

On a whim I uploaded a couple of completely unrelated videos showcasing VFX work I had practiced on my spare time, and these videos have reached into the 200k - 800k range quite quickly, however I've only gathered an additional 1k subscribers or so since uploading these clips.

Is there a benefit to creating a new channel specifically for these types of uploads? What are some cons? A few extra notes:

• I no longer upload gaming content to my original channel, however I would like to uphold the integrity of my brand if I do decide to get back into game related streaming and uploading.
  • My original channel is in great standing and I have access to the tools that come with my view and subscriber numbers. Some of these tools would be missed, but honestly I don't use most of them.
My thoughts are that these VFX videos aren't really gaining traction with subscribers, and are more or less a click and forget type of draw to viewers. Nearly all of my traffic is coming from related video suggestions. My gaming content videos are hardly being touched at this point and nearly all of my traction is from these VFX hits. For further information, my channel is under the Union for Gamers MCN.

That said, logically, uploading these videos anywhere would show it as related content still, right?

Does having an aged channel with several hundred uploads boost your discoverability or adjust your standing in the algorithm or anything like that?

Would branding a new channel as a VFX showcase type channel theoretically boost retention, or any other related metrics as opposed to keeping them on the gaming channel?

If I do decide to start a new channel, would it be wise to upload under the MCN again? They don't seem to do a whole lot for me other than pay me monthly instead of quarterly. Im not sure if gaming ads that the MCN cherrypicks are boosting my VFX numbers more than straight Google AdSense would.

TL;DR: My gaming-related videos on my gaming-branded channel are getting no views. My random VFX showcase videos are getting moderate viewership. My subcount is below 5k, and only about 1k have showed up for the VFX vids. What are the pros and cons of starting a second channel specifically for VFX as opposed to continued uploads to my current gaming branded channel?

If your gaming channel is dead and you see interest in your VFX work, I think it wouldn't hurt to start fresh.

Back