What are the Pros and Cons of doing a LIVESTREAM?

Mark Stise

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
What are the Pros and Cons of doing a LIVESTREAM?

I did a few livestreams but I am still new on this Youtube feature.
Can you edit a livestream?
How long can a typical Liveastream be? (IS AN HOUR TO LONG?)
What is the best way to let my subscribers know I am doing a livestream?

Like I said this is really new stuff to me so any advice or help would be grateful!

thanks

Mark Stise

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
It has some pros and cons.
It might be a boring livestream, if no one comes to it and it has no interaction with the viewers, but that depends on what you do on the livestream.
Pros can be the watch time might get increased if a lot of people is in the livestream and talk to you at the same time.

Reactions: Mark Stise

Mark Stise

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It has some pros and cons.
It might be a boring livestream, if no one comes to it and it has no interaction with the viewers, but that depends on what you do on the livestream.
Pros can be the watch time might get increased if a lot of people is in the livestream and talk to you at the same time.
Interesting!!!
Thanks for the imput

CaptainNeedy

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
The biggest pro for livestreams are that they can really increase your connection with your audience. If you have an established audience that enjoys something about your videos then they get a whole higher sense of connection to you from interacting with you on a livestream. Also, if you have a large audience that will tune in for livestreams then livestreams can be a big builder of total watch time on your channel. livestreams can be a great way to get feedback from your audience and get some generalized feedback on what they're enjoying and would like to see more of.

The biggest con of livestreams is that they can make you look pretty boring if you don't plan well for them. They are also killing video views on YouTube as people who used to spend a few hours watching 10 to 20 videos are now just watching one live stream instead.

Yes. Livestreams can be edited later and reposted but I don't know how that affects the associated chat. A livestream can be as long as you want it to be. NASA has been continuously livestreaming for months so far. You can schedule a live stream in advance and some of your subscribers may be notified. You can also make a video announcing a livestream schedule.

Last edited:

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Pros? It's live
Cons? It's live... So you don't have post production anything you say wrong will be wrong.

I've never done it myself, and probably won't. I am not a live type of guy. I'd rather do a vlog and edit out all the parts where I loose my train of thought

Gerald Z

Reaction score
Pros:
makes it more personal and real.
helps improves confidence.
interaction with the audience, any questions and answers they need can be dealt with instantly.

Con:
anything can happen, bad that is.
if you get stuck at any point, it can make it look boring and dull.

the live stream can be as long as you feel is necessary, since it's live, it's always best to have great laid out plans in advance.
bottom line, have fun! :D