What are the Pros and Cons of a shout out?

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I personally never done a shoutout before or asked for one, but I don’t see anything wrong with it as long as it’s done right. I know some channels got exposed for making people pay for shoutouts and some of their viewers didn’t like the channels they was shouting out, as long as you’re shouting out channels you actually like I don’t see anything wrong with it.

If you want your own channel to be shouted that’s a good way to get new viewers and subscribers, but there’s some cons to it.

The people might only go to your channel to check you out because their favorite YouTubers said too and then that could result mean low retention time because they click on a video and then click off right away.

They might subscribe, but never really watch your content because they only subbed because their favorite channel said too or they may unsubscribe latter on.

But there’s pros to it too

They may go check out your channel and end really liking your content and then you will end up having a long time subscriber from it.:)

Good luck with whatever you decide to do:thumbsup2:

Taz The Yorkie

Reaction score
Since we’re talking about Shoutouts, here’s something that just happened to me.
I posted a video a few days ago and someone left a comment: “Can I have a shoutout?”
So today I posted another video and I gave them a shoutout in it and They just left a new comment that said:
“can I have a shoutout?”
:banghead:

Reactions: Farley Productions

Qldking

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Since we’re talking about Shoutouts, here’s something that just happened to me.
I posted a video a few days ago and someone left a comment: “Can I have a shoutout?”
So today I posted another video and I gave them a shoutout in it and They just left a new comment that said:
“can I have a shoutout?”
:banghead:
Reply back with a link to that video with the shoutout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Taz The Yorkie

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Overall opinion: I see nothing wrong with video shout outs as long as they are not paid to do so. (If paid then reason must be understandable. Otherwise it's a sellout.)

Pros:
- Giving exposure to other channels.
- Connecting with other Youtubers.
- Finding people within your niche/genre/video style (kind of the same as the point above).
-Making new friends.

Cons:
- Some people will beg for you to give them a shoutout even if you don't want to.
- Possible unwanted attention.
- Channels you previous gave a shout out too either A) Terminates their own channel over time or B) Youtube terminates it yourself.
- Channels you gave a shout out to go inactive for X amount of time.
- No return. No one gives you a shout out for your kindness. (this should not be expected anyways but some may see it as a con).
- If a channel you linked below does switch accounts or go inactive you may have to update your description for your old videos constantly.

Either way it's up to you. I see nothing wrong in doing so.
I just personally don't have any desire to do a shout out at this time. Mainly from the reasons listed above that have happened to me before.

Boki

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Cartoonist
My personal experience with shoutouts was rather bad. I generally gave shoutouts to everyone who requested them, and so far, no one has really profited from them. :( In fact, some people got negative comments from my audience, which annoyed me extremely.

George Hudson

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
If you are offering out shout out's the I would be careful. Make sure that you pick channels that are actually linked to yours in someway. If they upload the same sort of videos as you then these are the ones you would shout out the most.
It is always nice to shout out a smaller channel as it will help them grow and you can build a nice little community that way, however, as other people have pointed out, this can lead to everyone then expecting one and you can get all sorts of problems with that.
If you are looking for someone to shout you out then don't go around begging for that as again this could cause some issues.

Reactions: Qldking