What are the Pros and Cons of a shout out?

CarlosDominguez

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I am still curious about people saying they'll do shout outs, I have asked this question once and I was told its a one of the few ways of growing your channel however I seen some videos where some people are exposed of shout outs, so I just wanted to ask what are your thoughts on shout outs.

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I would never do a shout out I didn't do because I personally liked and watched the channel. I would never accept money for a shout out and don't respect anyone who would.

CarlosDominguez

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I would never do a shout out I didn't do because I personally liked and watched the channel. I would never accept money for a shout out and don't respect anyone who would.
Ok thank you for your input ive been curious about it so I just wanted to ask.

Xynudu

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Shout outs are fine if done for the right reason and limited in frequency.

I do one occasionally to give a worthy channel (that has made the effort) some exposure to help it grow. I don't expect anything in return.

Generally most of my viewers are unaware of the channel. It has to be relevant to my channel niche/content to get mentioned.

In each case the channel has grown in subscribers following the shout out.

It makes for a positive caring outlook/attitude for my channel.

YT is NOT a competition.

Reactions: GrannyGamer

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
shout out are fine IMO:) There are different reason why people do shout out in their videos. I think most people who do it hope that you will do the same or maybe give them a link to their channel or something. Then you can find people who will ask you to pay a little for a shout out. And then it actually happens that some Youtubers find your channel so interesting/inspiring that they will shout you out because of that:)

PhysicsFreak101

What a Gamer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think shout outs are fine, just the occasional mention of another channel that makes content you like, or makes similar content to yours and think needs some exposure, but what I'm not fine with is Shout Out Sundays. Series like that will get you nowhere, in my experience, and it's best to stay away from them.

Frontier Forge

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
About the only time I do shout outs is if I'm accrediting someone for knowledge gained . Like say I do a video on forging an S-hook, and I watched John Q's video on forging an S-hook to learn how, I'll explain that I Iearned this particular method from John Q in my video.

Taz The Yorkie

Reaction score
When I started I got a comment from someone wanting a shoutout, I thought it was no big deal so I gave them one. Now I get so many requests for shoutouts I feel like my videos come to a dead stop so I can read names for a minute. On top of that I’ve started getting nasty comments from people requesting them if I don’t give them a shoutout quick enough. So I think I’m going to stop. Which is a shame a few people who asked for them are just fans who want me to say ‘hi’ which is cool. But most are just people trying to promote their channel, which is almost always so unrelated to my content I don’t see how it helps them.

BamaGuyRTR

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Nothing wrong with shout-outs. Just because someone thinks someone else's content is great doesn't mean their viewers are interested enough to subscribe. I rarely subscribe when a big youtuber is promoting someone unless I'm interesting in their particular brand of content.