What are the copyright laws around using like 2 seconds of a movie

Tom theWildlife

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have seen several YouTubers who would "flash back" to a very short scene from a (Hollywood or Disney) movie. My questions is does this not infringe on copyright laws or are you allowed to use extremely short segments from a movie?

Psycho

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I have seen several YouTubers who would "flash back" to a very short scene from a (Hollywood or Disney) movie. My questions is does this not infringe on copyright laws or are you allowed to use extremely short segments from a movie?
It doesnt matter how long even 0.00001 secs and youll get a copyright strrike

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Because the movie industry are jerks that way!

Tom theWildlife

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Then how is it that people like casy Niestat cut to scene of the god father or something?

bryan94c

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
i always wondered the same thing

LytaneVS

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
While using even a second of somebody's material is under the copyright protection act you can use it in the form of satire and parody if you aren't being hateful with it (as that's against YouTube's guidlines) so using a meme or line from a movie to accent a joke can be alright if your content is original and you don't try to claim ownership of that clip. It's all very grey stuff and can get you into trouble pretty quickly if you use it wrong