What are the best ways to promote a channel?

LivingWithTheGuzmans

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Hi all. I'm a newer Youtuber that has around 100 subs. I've been basically sharing my content on relevant subreddits and through Discord servers that allow promotion. While that has helped quite a bit, it's on and off.
I use TubeBuddy, so I got quality tags in my videos and calculated the best time to post my content. I feel what I've been doing is good for a novice but I want to take it up a notch. I'm really passionate about this channel.

What are some optimal methods to promote my channel so views and subs increase?
is Adwords worth a shot or are other techniques available that I haven't thought of? I'm really hoping to hit 200 subs by the middle of January but only if it's though an engaged audience that discovers my content.
The best thing is to just think about the next video, create it and upload it that is what I do.

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I really think it depends on your videos. You mention relevant subreddits yourself and for me Reddit is what works the best (Reddit and collaborations with bigger channels) But again I really think it depends on your videos. If you have a budget you could also try out ad words it works for some videos too

LytaneVS

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I don't really recommend using Adwords when you are such a small channel. I have used it two times and both times I didn't think it was worth while. I followed a guide and set it up pretty well but it didn't cause as many views as I would like for the first and the second one did get a good amount of views but it was a low retention time, and only a few people clicked on another video and I didn't get any subs out of it. It ended up costing like $40 as well (I didn't set up the cap properly) so it wasn't worth any of the money in my opinion.

I am not good at SEO and stuff but forums, talking on other peoples pages and stuff is the better way to go. Interacting with real people is more important in my opinion.

Ocean Chan

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi all. I'm a newer Youtuber that has around 100 subs. I've been basically sharing my content on relevant subreddits and through Discord servers that allow promotion. While that has helped quite a bit, it's on and off.
I use TubeBuddy, so I got quality tags in my videos and calculated the best time to post my content. I feel what I've been doing is good for a novice but I want to take it up a notch. I'm really passionate about this channel.

What are some optimal methods to promote my channel so views and subs increase?
is Adwords worth a shot or are other techniques available that I haven't thought of? I'm really hoping to hit 200 subs by the middle of January but only if it's though an engaged audience that discovers my content.
I've looked through your channel and was wondering what it was about. Is it going to be animations?

Are there forums/blogs/websites which cater to your topic, so that you can promote your channel there?

I've found Reddit to be extremely difficult to promote without sounding forced. I am an avid user of Reddit myself, and I am one of "those" people that dislike self promotion on reddit. It is a very specific forum for discussion and nothing else (for the subreddits I am active on anyways).

I have found Instagram to be really really great for promotion. Having a 10-20 sec clip from your video or a really well put together still shot goes a long way in getting your channel out there. Instagram is visual, so its not too far from youtube and so many people can see your posts.

Have you also thought about Trinding? There's a really great community there. I thought it was a video dump site, but the community actually watches each others videos and are very supportive

MZ-101

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
More of what you’re doing, and more agressively. Don’t shamelessly promote on people’s posts, or videos, but post your own on everything you can, and aggressively. Do it once, twice, a million. ‘Till you get your desired amount of viewership.

SmokeySpace

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I don’t think buying views is allowed to be talked on here, and most don’t approve. Though I have no opinion on it
He’s not necessarily “buying views” he’s paying for his video to be advertised on YouTube which instead of just buying fake views you are actually paying for more people to see your video

ReeceS

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
+1 on SEO and trends. Don't just follow trends though. Be one of the first, if not THE first, person to address an upcoming trend. This means being on top of any potential blowups. Use this to your advantage to build a larger audience. After that, you can focus on more regular content that you specifically want to create.

Other promotion tips:

Take advantage of any reach you have from other social media platforms. If anything, you should also try to build brand awareness and growth in all platforms to maximize reach.

Reach out on other platforms, such as reddit, tumblr, or anything that you think is relevant to your content.

Make comments on more popular channels but don't ask people to follow/sub to your channel. Leave comments relevant to the video you're watching. Your goal here is to again create awareness. The more you have your name out there, the greater the chance people will find your content.

More importantly, create ENGAGING content. If you want more views, you have to have people actually watch yours videos at length. Work on your thumbnails and make enticing titles. Make sure the content actually relates to the title and thumbnail. The first few seconds of your video is also important. Ensure that the first few things people see in your video is something that will want to keep them watching more. DO NOT use obnoxious intros.

cheers for the info :)

DIY Reid

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Reviewer
Has Adwords been successful for you? I heard most of the it's just low retention.
Honestly, after trying adwords with multiple videos I find it to be not worth it because of the low retention rate. I've even had a video ghosted or blacklisted after paying $10 for views on adwords.[DOUBLEPOST=1515531224,1515530945][/DOUBLEPOST]
+1 on SEO and trends. Don't just follow trends though. Be one of the first, if not THE first, person to address an upcoming trend. This means being on top of any potential blowups. Use this to your advantage to build a larger audience. After that, you can focus on more regular content that you specifically want to create.

Other promotion tips:

Take advantage of any reach you have from other social media platforms. If anything, you should also try to build brand awareness and growth in all platforms to maximize reach.

Reach out on other platforms, such as reddit, tumblr, or anything that you think is relevant to your content.

Make comments on more popular channels but don't ask people to follow/sub to your channel. Leave comments relevant to the video you're watching. Your goal here is to again create awareness. The more you have your name out there, the greater the chance people will find your content.

More importantly, create ENGAGING content. If you want more views, you have to have people actually watch yours videos at length. Work on your thumbnails and make enticing titles. Make sure the content actually relates to the title and thumbnail. The first few seconds of your video is also important. Ensure that the first few things people see in your video is something that will want to keep them watching more. DO NOT use obnoxious intros.
This is good advice. You need to focus on videos that people are going to wan tto watch now and sub. Once you have a list of people subbed to you you can make those videos that are some waht off the walll[DOUBLEPOST=1515531497][/DOUBLEPOST]
More of what you’re doing, and more agressively. Don’t shamelessly promote on people’s posts, or videos, but post your own on everything you can, and aggressively. Do it once, twice, a million. ‘Till you get your desired amount of viewership.
Where are places you can post? I know of a few but I'm sure there are more.

tumbler.com
stumbleupon.com