What are qualities that make a good channel?

Spence Bailey

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Other
I disagree with this. When you go to a new channel and you see that they don't have channel are you think "This guy must not take this serious" or "This channel doesn't seem professional", that's alteast what I think. I do agree channel art is not everything, but it does give a good first impression and I think it's important.
That was my through process as well. I like seeing good and sometimes interactive channel art. It makes me feel like that person/people have their ducks in a row and that they give a crap about their appearance.

That's why I am working hard to try and get myself some good logos and art going so that way I'll be taken more seriously.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm curious to see what everyone's view is on this, does having good channel art make it a hit or miss for you or a consistent upload schedule? That's only two ideas on the top of my head that can make a channel hit or miss for some people. Im sure there is a lot more things we could talk about :)
Content is key. I personally do not care about an upload schedule. Those create deadlines, and YouTubers that adhere to them are often scrambling to meet those deadlines. You see that in their content. They get sloppy, they start to accept minor mistakes. For bigger YouTubers it doesn't really matter anymore as the sheep are already following them (those that only sub because the YouTuber has a big following). A smaller YouTuber can't get away with sub par editing. They need to give it their all.

I also want someone to be themselves, and I want them to create real content.

daniel burgio

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Content is key. I personally do not care about an upload schedule. Those create deadlines, and YouTubers that adhere to them are often scrambling to meet those deadlines. You see that in their content. They get sloppy, they start to accept minor mistakes. For bigger YouTubers it doesn't really matter anymore as the sheep are already following them (those that only sub because the YouTuber has a big following). A smaller YouTuber can't get away with sub par editing. They need to give it their all.

I also want someone to be themselves, and I want them to create real content.
Yeah you're right about that sub par part. Crap.

But yeah, quality and effort in content are what make content king. I guess a lack of exposure will bury your content no matter how good, but real effort is what makes a channel good. What drew me to Vanossgaming was the sheer effort in the editing and I even once saw a small youtuber advertising a video on Reddit that was odd and clunky, but it had a sheer amount of effort that compelled me to tell them that it showed (of course, they didn't reply so that's 2/2 small Reddit Youtubers that didn't reply to any feedback, but that's a whole other can of worms).

Cassarilla

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Cartoonist
Definitely consistent uploading. (Me @ me: you should do that) Maybe not even consistent like in a weekly way but at least every couple of months. If I visit a channel even if things are really awesome if they haven't uploaded in 3 months or more I don't sub.

Also, personality for sure. There is one youtuber in particular that I started watching because she would talk about a show I like, but her personality is what keeps me watching. She could upload herself reading the phonebook and I'd watch because I find her personality appealing.

Yeah, I don't get hung up on channel art. I do think it's very nice to have a good looking banner and stuff, don't get me wrong. Sometimes after watching a few of a person's videos, from them being suggested, I never even go to the channel page before subbing.

Reactions: adrianquihuis

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Good quality and be upload regularly.
Communicate with your audience by responding to comments.

Reactions: AnimeSpry

adrianquihuis

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
the more you invest and work on your channel and consistently improve, your channel will only get better. You see these big time youtubers, and they literally worked on it everyday and posted it everyday. Casey Neistat would wake up at 530 am to work on it.

To go above and beyond everyone, you need to take a massive amount of action.

Nikki120113

YTTalk's Cookie Pizza
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Other
For me, having good audio is a must, otherwise it's literally a pain having to watch something that could even be damaging my speakers. Having the sound the same volume throughout the whole video is good too, so i don't get surprised & deaf by sudden loud music. Consistency is key, otherwise people might forget about you (speaking from experience). A good personality & something valuable/educational, ending a video learning something new is always a nice feeling :)

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
I would say is...
- Design for thumbnails and Channel art Is Important, it's the first thing people see
- Being consistency and bring good quality. When I was new I noticed people didn't subscribe only because they weren't many videos on my channel, like they weren't sure if I was going to continue or give up
- Engage with your audience is also really important, you want to create a fanbase
- Finally, originality... you want to create stuff that people want to watch