Websites Copyrights

zaffron

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi everybody

I want to ask
to what extent is it legal to create technical video about website review by using a screen recorder of a user desktop while surfing the reviewed website. In other words, is it legal to record any website pages and adding some commentary review of the user impression with the reviewed website ?

zaffron

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi, Zaffron!

I would check the TOS of each individual site to see what each one does and does not allow.

Hope this helps!
Thank you for the reply. Actually i saw many YouTubers made some apps review in their channels and i wonder how they are able to record app's stuff without getting copyright notice or without getting any YouTube strike. So i thought they may have considered the use of apps as the use of webpages. However, recording websites stuff still keep my concern. i checked some TOSs but i found most of them did not touch upon the use of website stuff, either commercially or non-commercial use. In common, most websites have added the general term " © Copyright 2017 " at the bottom of the main webpage. So in your opinion, does this term means that we can not record their website content in a sense of making review ? or does this issue classified under the section that talks about rights of intellectual property ?

Thank you very much. :)

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
It would indeed be classified under the "rights of Intellectual property". You are doing reviews; so the Fair Use Doctrine can come into play; however I'd contact the developers or webmasters of each site or app you plan to review and ask for formal use permission, including commercial rights if you plan to monetize the videos. Get an email reply from each and turn them into PDF files in case YouTube ever asks for your usage rights evidence. I've had this happen to me, and in each case I was using legally licensed stock footage and in at least one case RF music to accompany a voiceover I did.

LOL...I literally had to provide a statement giving me permission to make money off my own vocal recordings!

Check YouTube's rules for showing software screen captures in your video production, as those may also apply.

Last edited:
Reactions: zaffron