Watching the same kind of content you make-

Do you watch the same types of videos that you, personally make?

• Yes! All the time!

• Yes, but not THAT much

• Yes, but not much at all

• Not really, I haven't found any I like

• No, not at all, I don't like it very much

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Everything I know about vlogging (what to shoot, how to construct my video, where to add text or sounds) I've learned by watching other vloggers. I always had a preference for people vlogging about their lives in other countries (Canadians living in Japan, Americans living in the UK, etc) and that is what inspired me to go aborad and start vlogging myself! I even learned how to do the lighting in sit-down-talk videos by watching vloggers talk about their set up. So next to the fact I greatly enjoy their videos, I'm also constantly learning from them.
That said, I also follow a lot of animation and art channels, since I just love the format (and wish I could do that myself).

darkstarmedia

Words are great.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I don't normally watch content on the same games I play, partly because I find that I start comparing myself too much and also because it hurts my creative process. I also have a bad tendency to compare and then get discouraged, so it's usually just best for me to focus on my own content. I just start questioning if my quality is bad or if my quality is better why my video did worse... it's too distracting.
This was the exact problem I had at the very beginning of my adventures on YouTube. I'd see other people talking about words and language and etymology and think, they're already established and are faring way better than I ever could, so what's the dang point?

But after a while, I sucked it up a little more and gradually exposed myself to more and more like-minded channels bit by bit. Some of them, I'm even friends with now! A group of us EduTubers collaborated on a massive video together and not only did I feel validated, I knew that what I was doing was just fine and I'd get my moment one day. I realised that none of them were out to get me or anything; we're all just makin' videos on words because we love 'em and that's that.

Once I developed confidence in my content and my "brand" and knew what set me apart from others in my niche, I felt a lot more relaxed. It's not an overnight process, but you toughen up eventually. One piece of advice from this forum that always sticks with me is that no one does it like you do.

Reactions: AmberAndGolden

Imagination Playtimes

Reaction score
I definitely watch other kids channels videos. Ones that are the same level as what we produce. Because we are a kids show that include stories and characters I also make it a point to go back to the 80's and 90's era of kids programming that really taught kids something and had adults as good role models. We try to stay away from always being just a "bright colors" "loud" "fast paced" "shock factor" kids show. So we definitely try to watch other kids modern content and mix it with the good style of Mister Rogers or Sesame Street of old.

So yes, watching other content that relates to our videos is pretty important and we do do it.

Unanswered5s

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Definitely! Typically they are larger channels so it's probably a good idea to learn from them as they must be doing something right, right?!

ItsMeRay

Hey there, Ray here!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I do watch the same content I make. In fact, I got inspired by Casey Neistat to start vlogging and with my gaming videos, I see other people play games that I think I would enjoy and play them for myself.

phayilgaming

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I do most of the time. Im like learning from LoL videos, as well as them giving me ideas and inspiration for my own videos.

BPD Games

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I watch a lot of videos that are the same as my content, but I don't know if it's the main thing that I watch. I'm kind of all over the place with my youtube viewing haha.

JayPlaysOfficial

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
i watch alot of gaming videos, but try to avoid a game that is being played so that i don't spoil it when it comes to me playing and recording a certain game :D but i also like watching drama alert to see whats going off in the world. on and off youtube :D but i love watching daz games! he is hilarious and his daz watches videos are amazing! XD

Samiphany

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician
I think it's important to learn from those who have already mastered your niche so you not only have a better idea of best practices, but also how to differentiate yourself and remain informed. Plus I get inspired by those who do what I do and it gives me new ideas or things to try. I don't get overwhelmed by those that are established. They actually motivate me to do what I love more because they are often influencers that I like and people in my industry community are part of what makes me love the industry.