Watch time vs views

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Hi guys

Maybe this question has been asked before but let me ask it again

What is best views or watch time?? (and does this question make sense at all?)

What exactly is a view anyway?? When someone watches about 10 seconds of one of my videos does that count as a view??

I take it it is better to have 10 views and the full watch time on the videos than to have 150 views with only 30 seconds of the video being watched??

indeed, I think watch-time is actually more valuable. Imagine having loads of views from people who dont give a s**t! I'd rather a small amount of loyal followers.. With that being said small volumes of followers dont pay the bills.. But I think its defo the right start!

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as the video plays, it's counted as a view on YouTube, likewise for Instagram. Facebook requires three seconds and it has more algorithm to calculate other stats.

To think of it, having more views means that the title/thumbnail/description attracted people's attention and more watch time means that the video managed to sustain their attention.

People can see views but not watch time so in that case more views will have a better impression too.

Both views and watch time will help with the algorithm and tell YouTube that "this is a video people watch" and they'll bump it up and stuff.

Last edited:
Back