watch time analytics-viewer retention

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
It seemed like this was the best place to post this. I guess if the moderators think it is better suited in a different category of the forum please move it.

I have been using my analytics data to try to improve my video's a couple of my earlier video's had some sharp drop offs in viewer retention. my more recent ones are a much smoother downward trends with some up swings here and there. I realize that my video's are not going to be what everyone who clicks them is looking for. they are automotive heavy truck equipment repair/maintenance stuff for the most part. not really entertainment videos although I hope they are entertaining to the people who are interested in that kind of stuff.

What is actually considered a good watch time % to help my videos rank in search results.

audiance retention.png

what should I consider a good watch time % what is typical to see of a "good" video

YonderYon

Reaction score
I don't believe there is an actual concrete number you can go by, due to the amount of variables that factor in. It seems to me that retention numbers are doing quite well. As long as your audience gets the information they need at the beginning with limited filler, i believe you'll continue to see numbers like this considering your niche. Use yourself as a benchmark and maybe check the analytics of channels similar to yours to set a bar for yourself.

Reactions: Ezrider92356

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I have been trying to continually set the bar higher. but I guess I'm not really sure where a good goal is to set for myself. I don't think I can see that info on other peoples channels? I know in my earlier video's I was able to identify some things that caused sharp drop off's in viewer retention and eliminate them.

I have one video that my analytics data has basically told me it needs a re-edit. it does amazingly well for the first 2.5 mins like 95% and then drops off a cliff being a longer than most of my video around 15 mins. gives it a bad %.

I guess I have been shooting for 75% or better but I am not really sure what most people see for retention.

is there a way to see what the viewer retention is on other people's vidio's you watch on youtube?