Was this MCN recruiter just trying to mislead to me?

SephiZack

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Some days ago I was approached by a TGN recruiter on Twitter (don't know if I can link it here) who wanted me to join their network and tried gaining my attention by retweeting my video. I answered with "I'm sorry but I don't think it would be good for me to give 40% of my ad revenue when I'm such a small channel"

He then replied with something like "Actually it is just 30%. Many people think that they get all the revenue from ads but Youtube actually take 50% of it which is more than our 30%, so you would be better off with us"

This was different from what I read almost everywhere, I read that if you don't have many subs it's 40% and also Youtube gets its cut no matter what MCN you join (which should be 45% I think) so I said "TGN's 30% would be on top of google's share". After that he hasn't answered back, deleted the retweet of my video and deleted his messages. I don't have screenshots of those so I don't remember the exact wording.

So he was just lying to me right? I'm surprised because probably there are small youtubers that might get tricked by this person/network.

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Youtube takes it's cut no matter what MCN you join. The MCN then takes IT's cut of whatever your Youtube cut is..
So if today, you made $100 with Youtube (that is AFTER they took their cut, you actually made closer to $145), your MCN would then take $30 of that, leaving you with $70.
So they'd better be doing something super-spectacular for you to be handing over 30% of your earnings to them.

TL;dr: No MCN you get $100 / With MCN you get $70

Reactions: Crown and SephiZack

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
"Actually it is just 30%. Many people think that they get all the revenue from ads but Youtube actually take 50% of it which is more than our 30%, so you would be better off with us"

This is blatant lies.

YouTube always takes their cut of approx 45% regardless of whether the channel is with an MCN or not. The MCN then takes their x% share from the 55% that is left. Adsense take 0% of the 55% that is left.

Reactions: SephiZack

SkidRowTrash

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I would stay away from TGN if I were you. Very low quality network and once you're signed up they will ignore you.

However if you do decide to look into them further, ask very specific questions and make sure you keep all the conversations saved in case you need them in the future. Luckily I saved all my correspondents with their recruiter and when they failed to live up to their promises I got them to void the contract and cancel the partnership very early. I wouldn't have been able to do this if I didn't have the lies I was told saved as evidence so I could show them that I was a victim in a bait and switch scheme.

SkidRowTrash

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Haha I guess they don't have a good reputation? xD
They are absolutely terrible and worthless. You'd have better results partnering with a random crack smoker off the street

Clam-

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
To OP, you already got your question answered, but I'd even go even further than just asking about it here and report that to TGN/BBTV so they can reprimand their recruiter for this.

They are absolutely terrible and worthless. You'd have better results partnering with a random crack smoker off the street
And your statement is based on what exactly?