WARNING: Channels Recently Terminated

MeLikeBigBoom

Liking YTtalk
Hey there,

I wouldn't normally post something like this if I wasn't a victim of it myself, but Spam404 has lately been rummaging through the internet for even the slightest violations of the YouTube ToS (You can find their website easily by Googling Spam404). Last Thursday, I woke up to find out that they had found an extremely old video of mine that had tags in the description, and subsequently SHUT MY CHANNEL DOWN. There was no warning or notification, I just woke up to all my hard work gone. Luckily, throughout the whole day I fought for my channel back, writing to YouTube about all the unusual things about my termination and how it is false and possibly malicious. That next morning, I had it back, thank god.

Though others haven't gotten it as lucky as me. If you view the takedown list on their website, you will see that every day videos and channels are shut down for simplistic violations like tags in the description, most of which are in very old videos. ONLYUSEmeBLADE with over 600k subscribers was shut down last week, and hasn't gotten it back. ItsCodComedyDaily with 80k, the same thing. Now that I have gotten my channel back, many people have been tweeting me asking if I can help them get theirs back, tons of people every day.

For that reason, I can't stress enough about how important it is that you guys check for any sort of ToS violation in ANY of your videos. Spam404 will search your channel with extreme precision, and in my instance, they found ONE violation, which apparently means that YouTube shuts my channel down instantly.

The most common violation that I've seen is putting tags in the description of your videos. That is an easy thing for Spam404 to spot, and they will strike your channel for it. Simply search for "Tags" in the search bar of your channel, it will also search for that keyword in the description. In my instance, I put the word "TAGS:" before my chunk of words in old videos, so this made it easy to find which videos had tags in the description, and even easier to remove them.

Additonally, like or favorite incentivization is against ToS too. Many channels have been shut down by Spam404 for this. Saying like "At 250 likes I'll post a special video" or "If I get enough favorites I'll do a giveaway" will count as incentivization and can be flagged.

It's a shame that it has to be taken so seriously, for us to be consistently afraid of getting our channels taken away for accidental violations is just wrong. But as of right now, Spam404 is in no wrong by doing what they're doing (Unless they're using bots, which violates section 4-H of the ToS, but that's hard to prove) and for now we just need to play it safe and be 100% sure we're not breaking ANY rules. Make sure to read up on the YouTube ToS, Partner Program Policies, Community Guidelines, and Copyright Policy just to make sure.

If anyone has fallen victim to Spam404, if you get in touch with me I should be able to help out. Be safe!

Thanks for posting this. It's really bad how people may have years of work taken from them just because of a tiny mistake in a very old video that the channel opwner may even have forgotten about. It would be much better if spam404 wuold bring the violation to the channel owner's attention instead of taking it down. I'll double-check all my future videos now so I don't lose my channel. Thank you again for this information.

Additonally, like or favorite incentivization is against ToS too. Many channels have been shut down by Spam404 for this. Saying like "At 250 likes I'll post a special video" or "If I get enough favorites I'll do a giveaway" will count as incentivization and can be flagged.
Do you have a link for that 1? I'm familiar with the giveaway 1 as the rules are that you weren't allowed to ask for anything not even subscribing but commenting was fine since you need to know who's entering but I've never heard anything about asking for X amount of likes before releasing another video, violating ToS.

Do you have a link for that 1? I'm familiar with the giveaway 1 as the rules are that you weren't allowed to ask for anything not even subscribing but commenting was fine since you need to know who's entering but I've never heard anything about asking for X amount of likes before releasing another video, violating ToS.
Yeah, theRadBrad does it all the time. Usually something along the lines of "Let's get this video to 10 000 likes, and I'll make another one of this series!" etc.

I can't post links, but it's at the bottom of the Partner Program policies :)

Yeah, theRadBrad does it all the time. Usually something along the lines of "Let's get this video to 10 000 likes, and I'll make another one of this series!" etc.
Yes but we both know the old "I saw [instername] do it so I thought it'd be fine" excuse isn't an excuse for following blindly. lol

I can't post links, but it's at the bottom of the Partner Program policies :)
I'm reading it now: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1311392?hl=en
"Manipulating or incentivizing others to click on video features such as “Like” or “Favorite”"
Typical YouTube, they always word their policies in a way that it leaves stuff open to interpretation. I still have yet to hear someone being banned for doing this, but there's a first for everything I guess. Either way I don't do the whole "like my video 100 times and I'll make another" fad because I think it comes off as a bit arrogant.
I'd still like more clarification on this 1 though because technically just asking for likes in general counts as manipulation in a way depending on how you word it too. I could be interpreting it wrong, for me incentives would have to be products, money or some form of payment that the viewer can keep/spend i.e. giveaways and I wouldn't call asking for likes to release another video manipulation though, unless they intended to release the video either way, that might explain why bigger YouTubers get away with it because if they say that kind of stuff, it works and so it looks like they're releasing the video because they got the criteria, for smaller YouTubers it sometimes doesn't go too well. Part of the whole idea with growing your channel is to give people incentive to like, favourite, subscribe etc... You're meant to ask them. So I can't imagine YouTube cracking down on something like this unless people were paying for that stuff.

@Tarmack @Shane.C do you guys have any insight on this 1?

The general theory behind the rule is not directed at people saying "give me 100 likes and I'll make the next video.". That's fairly reasonable from a content creation standpoint. Rather, they are concerned about things like giveaways or other "outside of YouTube" incentives influencing things. Asking people to like a video isn't harmful.

That said, I don't know whether they enforce it in this way.

Whether truly against the ToS or not, Spam404 considers it to be, like in the tweet I attached. Just to be safe I'd stay away from it. It really doesn't incentivize people to like the video that much, nor do likes truly matter.

Their takedown page says they've taken down 80 videos/channels for 'Incentivisation of Video Features," though it links to the policy page on giveaways on YouTube, so maybe it's just for requiring likes for entries in a giveaway that's against policy. But as I said earlier, It's best to play it safe.

Attachments

• Like Incentivisation.png
    Like Incentivisation.png
    59.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back