Voice Over or Face Cam

VloggySam

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger
Hey guys,

So I feel like I can do a lot more videos as a voice over for non vlog related videos as lighting in my house is awful and I need to save money before buying equipment. However would this be a turn off for some people?

For example, a top 10 business books to read video would be explained as voice over with video being footage of the author or pictures etc.

Let me know your thoughts and have you done any similar style videos?

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
I don't think that will turn off people for that kind of video and I talk from experience. I'm a gaming channel that only does voiceover, I've never done a face reveal and I'm doing ok, can't complain to be honest since I've only been doing this for 8 months. If I don't have that many subs is pretty much because I don't upload as much as other gaming channels covering the same game.

Reactions: VloggySam

HiEnergy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I usually do voice-over or even merely captions with no VO (I have an ugly voice).
Only did two videos showing my face so far: An unboxing video for my microphone and my short Christmas address. (Both unlisted)
Captions or VO is enough in my opinion as long as you and your face aren't the intended content of the video.

Ernie Jo

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If you're not going to show yourself on camera then just make sure that the visuals are still engaging. If someone's on YouTube then chances are they're not looking for a podcast, so you want to be sure that the video part of your video is solid.

Also you can find decent budget LED lights on Amazon or wherever for like $30. :)

Zadey

Reaction score
Depends what your channel is. There are a lot of popular advice videos that use background footage with a voice over instead of a face cam. I would say only use a face cam if you define yourself as your brand and you are an authority in your niche. If not, use a voice over with good footage.

ItsMeJackP

Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I agree that it depends on the type of video - if I was watching a Jenna Marbles video and it was a voiceover, it'd be a little weird! That said, a political commentator whose video I sometimes watch usually shows her face when she's talking to the camera, and cuts to images/video/text from articles, but in some pictures the webcam footage is replaced by a photo of her.

So yeah, as long as you find interesting ways around it, it'll be fine :)

VloggySam

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger
Thanks everyone for the responses - I think I'll just do face cams and invest in some lighting as I do want to be a brand in essence.