Voice Changing Female to Male

Vulpelux

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Heya, so I'm completely new to this whole thing, YouTube, this site etc. Except for a few years ago when I tried my first hand at uploading Let's Plays. It was a couple cringey episodes of Bioshock but I didn't upload anything else past those videos. The major reason why I stopped was my voice. I later realised I have dysphoria and well, that made a hell of a lot of sense considering just how dramatically I hated my voice.

So when I decided I was going to try to upload content again and be serious about it this time I knew I had to do something about my voice. I haven't taken any measures to physically change my voice for various reasons, not all that important, but that means I have to change my voice digitally instead. I've done a lot of experimenting and even spent almost a hundred dollars (yes I'm that desperate to make this work) on software that was supposedly very good. Unfortunately, most of the options such as Voicemod, Clownfish, MorphVOX pro, Graillon 2, GSnap, were either designed for pitch correction in singing or were as effective as pitch changing in Audacity... Not very. If you've ever tried simply pitch changing you know what it sounds like, muddy and unrealistic and doesn't sound like a guy's voice but rather a girl's voice after consuming that gas that lowers your voice. The only program that produced believable results, to the point it almost made me cry with how accurate the voice change was to the voice in my head, was an Audacity plug-in called Kerovee.

Kerovee was perfect, the voice was perfect, everything about how it sounded was perfect. Finally I had a voice that took my "real" voice out of my head and put it in the real world. Buuuut nothing is perfect and unfortunately neither is Kerovee. Despite the amazing voice changing results the clip that started off with fairly good, adequate audio quality became distorted and buzzy with the change. I tried to find a way to fix the audio so the quality returned to normal but... Nothing. Audio quality is extremely important for YouTube, arguably more important than visuals, if the audio sucks it's unwatchable. I know this. So... I'm not sure what to do. Without the voice change I know I won't be able to upload content for long, if at all. I need this though, it's one of the very few options I have right now for money thanks to illness.

I did some experiments using just a straight note, a clean sine wave. My dad (a retired programmer with decades of experience with many programming languages) and I have contemplated creating our own program tuned to my voice but neither of us know how Kerovee's algorithm works or what is necessary when implementing convincing voice changing. It's possible one of these other programs or even a different one I somehow haven't heard of yet will produce the voice changing quality of Kerovee while preserving general audio quality of the track but I don't know how to make that work. It's also possible that there is a way to fix the audio distortion caused by Kerovee but again I don't know how.

It's a pretty niche area so I understand if no one has any advice but I'm really not sure where else to look. I posted on a couple Subreddits and the Audacity forum about this and nothing came up. I'm not even sure if the distortion is bad enough to warrant this kind of drama. Should I provide tracks of the audio? I'm just kinda lost to be real, I need help with this and I dun even know what to really ask anymore.

Hopefully, I've made myself clear enough and you guys are able to give some advice and help.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place or did something wrong, please tell me if I did. Thank you~