Vlogs vs. Edits

Nathan Fransen

Reaction score
SKIP THIS IF YOU DON'T FEEL LIKE READING IT:

I have been making videos (not always for youtube) for about a year and a half now. I can now say that I am experienced with working cameras, video editing software, and generating ideas. For the first year and three months, I have spent 99% of my time trying to make edits (well filmed and edited videos with music). However, I decided to try more of a vlog approach on a second channel lately. I've stayed away from these type of videos in the past because the first one I ever tried turned out so cringe and bad that I have been horrified to ever try it again. However, about 3 months ago, I felt the urge once again to try a vlog type of video.
Here are the reasons:
-I felt I might do more if I vlog
-I wanted to make more videos
-Content is king on youtube. Vlogs allow for maximum content production because they can be filmed and edited in one day
-I could eventually connect with my audience better
-I wanted to improve my talking skills
To my surprise, the video I vlogged in just one hour turned out okay. As a result, I have made 10 more mostly in the past two months or so. I am getting better at making them, and I even officially called it a vlog in my latest video. However, they are still not good. I even get bored watching them, and I have interest in everything I do obviously.

I know at this point, I want to do both vlogs and edits on youtube. However, I need to decide which one to put more effort into. I will probably pick one and put 90% of my effort into, while rarely making the other type of video. There just isn't enough time in the day to do both.

^SKIP TO HERE IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ THAT ABOVE^

Vlog- Typically a daily video showing stuff from a persons day. Example: Casey Neistat
Edit- Usually a large amount of effort put into one video with music. Example: devinsupertramp

In your opinion, which is more entertaining to watch on youtube? Vlogs or edits? Why?
In your opinion, which is better to make? Why?

Reactions: Yachts For Sale

PictureFIT

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
If you want to be successful on YouTube, you should try to do both in the end. Vlogs are easy to make, but it wouldn't be great content to attract new subscribers/viewers. That is where "hero" content comes into play or, as you phrase it, "edit" videos. These videos can cater to a larger audience, attracting new eyeballs and possibly new subscribers. Chances are that some will subscribe to you in order to see more of your hero content, but the majority will probably subscribe to you to see more of, well, you. And that's where the vlogs come in. You keep giving your subscribers more of your videos and personality with vlogs and every now and then, you lure more people in with hero content.

Mister20seven

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Personally, I'm not watching vlogs. Possibly I'm missing out some good stuff, but I thought the few I saw were boring.
"Edits" are great, I prefer watching them as I want to see a great video in first place. And as pictureFIT already said, I think those type of vids are way more attracting than the 27859th vlog ( no offense to vloggers :D ).

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I think this fits better in the strategy / technique advice discussion forum, so I've moved it there. ^_^

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
So glad that you posted this question; I have exactly the same issue.

I decided to stop vlogging last year because the quality of my vlogs was nowhere near as good as the yacht presentation videos I produce in collaboration with video production companies. To compensate, I am trying hard to make one "hero video" every month. So far this has been a successful strategy, resulting in significant growth to my channel.

I will probably revisit the idea of regular vlogs if my channel gets to a higher level of subscribers, say 10,000, so that I can keep those subs engaged with the channel.

Nathan Fransen

Reaction score
Personally, I'm not watching vlogs. Possibly I'm missing out some good stuff, but I thought the few I saw were boring.
"Edits" are great, I prefer watching them as I want to see a great video in first place. And as pictureFIT already said, I think those type of vids are way more attracting than the 27859th vlog ( no offense to vloggers :D ).
I agree with you. I think the majority of vlogs are boring. I might give a mix of vlogs and "edits" a shot. I think it would be a really interesting combination.