Vlogging Camera and eqipment

Bethanyjbee

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey all,

What are everyone's recommendations for vlogging camera's that aren't too hefty to carry around and some good equipment to go with it?
Also the prices of said items?

I know some people record on their phones, but mine never seems to have enough room for anything...

Thanks in advance!

Corywhotv

Reaction score
I just picked up a sony a6000 which is treating me well thus far. Depending on the package you go for, it runs like $650-$800.

Reactions: Bethanyjbee

IftiBashir

Undiscovered....
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I like the Canon M10 which I recently reviewed. The screen swings up as well so you can see yourself as you film to make sure you are in shot.
That and a decent Joby Gorillapod, like the Gorillapod Focus and Ballhead X set.
;)

FrankDoorhof

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Reviewer, Other
Sony a6500
Great image quality and audio (even without an external mic) af is magic.

Get it with a pancake lens like the 20 or 16 and it's more than portable.

Working without a screen is a bit getting used to at first but almost second nature after a few days. Especially when you use the same lens.

DewyOtter

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I see people have already given the golden choice! The mirrorless cameras. I'd recommend them as well.

But I suppose, if you wanted a very ergonomic solution that isn't already mentioned. You could go for the DJI Osmo.

- 4k Camera packaged with a 3 axis gimbal for stable shooting.
- You can add your smartphone for a live preview.
- On an umbrella like grip as well with the camera able to articulate backwards, for simple handling.
- You could probably add an external microphone to enhance the audio if need be.

Buuuut it's in the $800 ballpark. (cheapest i've seen is $600) Good if you can afford it.

Good luck

sipilatommi

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I see people have already given the golden choice! The mirrorless cameras. I'd recommend them as well.

But I suppose, if you wanted a very ergonomic solution that isn't already mentioned. You could go for the DJI Osmo.

- 4k Camera packaged with a 3 axis gimbal for stable shooting.
- You can add your smartphone for a live preview.
- On an umbrella like grip as well with the camera able to articulate backwards, for simple handling.
- You could probably add an external microphone to enhance the audio if need be.

Buuuut it's in the $800 ballpark. (cheapest i've seen is $600) Good if you can afford it.

Good luck
Though from what I've read in reviews the Osmo doesn't have too good of a battery life or audio, so not necessarily a good choice as a dedicated camera for vlogging. But the mirrorless camera's are what I'd go for too. Below is my progression as a daily vlogger:

1. Olympus PEN E-PL6 kit with lens, EUR 300. (I think the newer E-PL8 model is now the same price)
2. Sandisk 32GB Extreme memory card, EUR 29
3. Gorillapod Hybrid, EUR 50
4. 20mm f1.7 lens, EUR 250
5. Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II body, EUR 1000 with an extra battery and a memory card
6. Rode VideoMicro, EUR 50
7. 10mm f2.4 lens, EUR 350
8. Gorillapod SLR Zoom, EUR 70
8. DJI Phantom 3 Advanced, EUR 799
9. Another Rode VideoMicro since I broke the previous one, EUR 50
10. Rode VideoMic Stereo Pro since I broke the VideoMicro again, EUR 129
11. 45-150mm f3.5-f5.6 lens, EUR 99
12. FalconEyes mobile light, EUR 39

Even if you don't go Olympus but go for a mirrorless system, you can use the Gorillapod Hybrid to improve ergonomics a lot. You can use it as a tripod on the go, as a selfie stick, support it against your body if shooting other people etc. As long as the camera + lens combo weighs less than 1kg you're good to go. Also, with this setup, you could deviate at item 5. and just get an external recorder to improve audio. That was the main problem with the PEN. No 3.5mm plug for the mic and the onboard mic is cell phone quality.

Turned out to be a pretty long post, hopefully you'll get something out of this. Also, most prices were deals and I live in an expensive country so your prices could be different. :)

DewyOtter

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Alas, what we both have in common is the suggestion of an additional microphone. Because let's be honest; who's content with onboard audio anyway? And of course, extra batteries. Because as i've omitted, it'd be smart, no matter what system. to have extra batteries on hand. No matter how good the battery life.

But i am jealous of you kit, let me say :(.

scott faulknor

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Im looking at getting a 2nd camera. Anyone have experience with the cannon g7x mark ii? If so, how does it compare to a Sony. I have only ever used cannon cameras.

Brandon

VISUAL.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Though from what I've read in reviews the Osmo doesn't have too good of a battery life or audio, so not necessarily a good choice as a dedicated camera for vlogging. But the mirrorless camera's are what I'd go for too. Below is my progression as a daily vlogger:

1. Olympus PEN E-PL6 kit with lens, EUR 300. (I think the newer E-PL8 model is now the same price)
2. Sandisk 32GB Extreme memory card, EUR 29
3. Gorillapod Hybrid, EUR 50
4. 20mm f1.7 lens, EUR 250
5. Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II body, EUR 1000 with an extra battery and a memory card
6. Rode VideoMicro, EUR 50
7. 10mm f2.4 lens, EUR 350
8. Gorillapod SLR Zoom, EUR 70
8. DJI Phantom 3 Advanced, EUR 799
9. Another Rode VideoMicro since I broke the previous one, EUR 50
10. Rode VideoMic Stereo Pro since I broke the VideoMicro again, EUR 129
11. 45-150mm f3.5-f5.6 lens, EUR 99
12. FalconEyes mobile light, EUR 39

Even if you don't go Olympus but go for a mirrorless system, you can use the Gorillapod Hybrid to improve ergonomics a lot. You can use it as a tripod on the go, as a selfie stick, support it against your body if shooting other people etc. As long as the camera + lens combo weighs less than 1kg you're good to go. Also, with this setup, you could deviate at item 5. and just get an external recorder to improve audio. That was the main problem with the PEN. No 3.5mm plug for the mic and the onboard mic is cell phone quality.

Turned out to be a pretty long post, hopefully you'll get something out of this. Also, most prices were deals and I live in an expensive country so your prices could be different. :)

Glad the Røde VMP was recommended, what a beautiful microphone. I highly recommend it.

zhkopec

I've Got It
Reaction score
I'd like an a6000 with a flip screen. Maybe later models will have it, but I'm doubting it.