Visuals for documentaries style videos

MediaVsReality

Reaction score
I'm creating a channel based around ideas about the relationship between media and reality.

I'm trying to figure out how to get footage for the visuals while I explain the ideas and concepts. So far I've thought of:

- Stock video footage - Where is the best place to get it? Is it incredibly expensive?

- Clips from movies and TV - How do I avoid getting videos banned for copyright while using film and TV clips?

- Clips from TV News - Again, at what point am I no longer following copyright laws?

An answer to these questions would be MASSIVELY APPRECIATED as I've been stuck for days trying to figure this out.

Thanks in advance :)

Conight

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think it would be nice to use all the ideas above, just maybe watermark the stock footage with sources, for example if I show a clip from the Matrix movie, in the bottom corner in slightly transparent letters "scene from the matrix"

Iain

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
You need the right answer here to protect yourself and your channel, so ask a YouTube Certified expert to make sure.

I’m not trying to discount advice from anyone here or other peers - but you don’t want to get this one wrong.

I’d recommend reaching out to someone like Derral Eves, it would be a great question to ask him, and be great for content for him to respond to in one of his videos to add value for others too.

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
A agree with Iain about being careful who you take advice from, especially here, where you will get children posting guesses, hopes, and dreams as fact.
I would go with stock footage. there are several sources for good, FREE stock footage (google it!) - read the terms and you can't go wrong.. Even 'experts' are wrong sometimes - and why should they care if it's not their channel they are putting at risk?