Visual representation of pitch

LNovik

Reaction score
HI,
New to this site. I was at a "Ten Years After" concert about 50 years ago--literally! This band appears in the Woodstock Movie. Alvin Lee, the great guitarist, was playing a lead, but it was really loud. I found myself daydreaming; ie, not really listening to the notes. He then took a drumstick from the drummer and started playing a guitar lead with that, instead of his pick. I found myself engaged again, following the music and really enjoying it.

Since then, I've looked for, but have been unable to find, a way to visually represent the pitch of the notes, either in a music solo or a voice melody. I simply visualize--at least in my mind, a linear scene, such as a walkway with lines between narrow slate stones. There is a figure, such as an animated dancer or even something like a penguin. The figure simply follows the pitch. So, if the guitar solo starts out with playing "Jingle Bells," you would first see that figure appearing 3 times in the same place, to represent the first 3 notes of that song--which all happen to be the same note. The next 3 notes are the same, so that would look the same, but then when the tune goes up on the 2nd syllable of "Jingle all the way," one would see the figure slide up 2 steps. When you combine a guitar solo, with all the bending of notes, you could see that figure both bend/sway and even vibrate when the note had tremolo applied to it.

I must stress that the major purpose of this would NOT be just to see this cutesy little figure darting across the screen, but to help people focus on the individual notes being played to gain a greater appreciation of that music passage.

I would think this could be done automatically with a midi converter, but I would be happy even to learn of a manual way to do it. A music lead, such as the solo for Sunshine of your love, by Cream, which I'm learning to play on my Keytar, has only so many notes--perhaps about a hundred. If I had to manually plug in each figure in a grid, I could easily do that over a few weeks.

Hope this is clear. If you think another forum would be a better place to post this, I would be happy to hear about this as well.

Thanks for your time.

LNovik