Views limiter

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Hi,
I think there is a views limiter youtube won't confess.
If your channel has so much traffic lets say 500 views a day that's all you will get unless you start uploading more often and better quality videos.

If a new video spiked they will just lower suggestions of your old videos to keep you at a certain limit. And to earn more traffic you just have to be consistent to be bumped to a new level of traffic flow. if you quit uplaoding or start making bad videos they will bump your down to a lower traffic level. Alsmost like a water faucet effect and how much water you can fill up each day. Traffic is like precious water there is so much you can get per day and your price is a good content.
Who agrees with this? limiter 2.jpg

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I've seen a few versions of this theory posted on the forums over the years. It's hard to tell with the realtime graphs because the scales tend to be hard to read when a video is performing well. But I do find it odd that I tend to get the same amount of views every single day... :eek:

Vedstedsen

Globus Travellus
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I just had one of my videos becoming suggested way more the last week or so. At the exact same time my most popular video (views/day) suddenly tanked.
A 25 views/day video became a 60 views/day
A 50 views/day video became a 10-15/ views day

Both videos are around 2,5 months old.

If YouTube does this purposly it's more discouraging and wants people to stop rather than encouraging to push harder. There has already been the debate on people being stressed by how the algorithm prioritizes.

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I don't think there is necessarily a view limiter. as of lately id say my 48 hour views seem to be around 5-6k and I have not been as active in uploading the last few months as normal or would like to be. but iv still seen spikes where the 48 hour goes over 10k. not nesisairly related to any kind of new upload activity. infact many of my video's tend to grow faster after they have been uploaded for a while than they do when they first post. there also may be other explanations for traffic shifting from one video to another. like maybe one video has been really popular but the algorithm may be exhausting the group of people that has been enjoying that video. say for example you tube may have noticed subscribers of a certain channel tend to like one certain video, its shown the video to the majority of the people that its found that it thinks will like that video. but it may have also noticed that people that liked that video also like another video of yours so its showing that video now to that same group of people that its had proven success with.

I do think that youtube does hold you back in the sense that you upload a video its not going to just flood it to everyone in the world till its proven that it appeals to everyone in the world. it just shows to small sample sizes collects the data on how those people reacted to that and then decided weather or not to share that video with more people that have similar interests or viewing habits as the people that previously watched the video.

there are other things that can cause temporary spikes in impressions or views like maybe a larger channel uploads a video that its related to your upload. and yours lands over in the watch next on there new video. they get a big flood of views in for the first few day because they have a larger subscriber base that turns more traffic to your video but maybe theres didn't do very good over all so it dies off after a few days.

then there can be glitches in your reported anylitics. iv had views disappear only to re-appear or not be reported in my analytics right away. for who knows what reason. maybe they wanted to verify they were legitimate views or a server issue or who knows what.

basicly a very long winded total speculation way of saying, I wouldent worry about it. just focus on what you can control and let the rest of the chips fall wherever they fall.

Reactions: KatyAdelson

OrbitGuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I don't think it's exactly limiting your views but it could be limiting where your video is suggested on the performance of the video. It's not like videos disappear from search results if they reach a certain number of views per hour. It may be YouTube had decided your video would only be suggested on one other video and that video directs a very consistent amount of traffic for that amount of time. Getting suggested on videos may very well work in a way similar to what you describe. It's complicated though because different videos that you are suggested on in addition to the click through rate of your video will cause the "levels" of traffic to vary in each situation.

As far as not uploading consistently... I just took a long break from my main channel and was looking at some data. My most previously most popular video strangely lost a huge amount of traction right around the time I stopped posted after like 8 months of doing really well. I'm wondering if because I stopped posting consistently YouTube removed some of the suggested spots the video had? It could have also been that it was being suggested on a lot of my new videos and then when I stopped posting there were no new spots for it to get. I also used end screens to promote a lot of my most popular content so I would imagine a lot of that cross-promotion between my content took a hit with no new content.

What you are saying I think may be relevant at the level of an individual video and how much YouTube chooses to promote it with suggested spots but I think it's more complicated for a whole channel. If it worked like that for the entire channel I think you would see distinct tiers in long term view graphs as it moved you up or down.

Last edited:

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
I read this post a few times and thought about what you are suggesting.
What would be the benefit to YouTube in limiting a channel's views? It seems to me that YT want people to stay on their platform as long as possible, so they will always promote videos that hold the attention of the viewer for the longest time. Even if a channel has not yet been monetised, and so there is no immediate financial benefit to YT, it is still in their best interests to help that channel to grow as quickly as possible so that it CAN become monetised.
I have little doubt that large corporations such as YT get up to all kinds of tricks that they don't let their users know about, but this one sounds unlikely to me.

Reaction score
I don't doubt something like this exists. I find it very easy to believe, actually.

I'll just say that I don't trust YouTube to act morally, responsibly, fairly, or in the best interest of it's content creators or their viewing members. I automatically assume that I even have to fight against YouTube for my success. Why? Because I see no evidence whatsoever that they're on my side. None. The very day I created my channel, it's been a fight just getting to do the simple, basic things like post comments. They offer no help whatsoever. I've gone everywhere for it but it doesn't exist. That's why I don't just believe, but I know, they don't care.

We live in an age where all the things that people used to accuse of being Conspiracy Theories are proving to be true.
It would now be more accurate to believe everything is true until it's proven to be a Conspiracy Theory.

Last edited: