Vidme goes bye-bye...

Cidsa

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I'd love a YouTube competitor but I don't think it's possible unless some billionaire really wants a money pit. Truth is YT has basically never been profitable (maybe one year? I'm forgetting exactly) and Google seems to run it just to keep their influence with advertisers, keep visibility, etc.

I think it's become increasingly clear that the way YT runs is not profitable and the business model needs to change in order for it to get there. Vid.me did nothing really differently and were doomed to fail from the start.

Malasia

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
damn I really was hoping vidme would be the next video outlet, we need a new vine, I miss vine

ProXima123

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I was honestly really sad that Vidme shut down, a few of my favorite reactors had to resort to uploading and streaming on vidme instead of youtube because of copyright and whatnot. Youtube needs some real competition.

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
That’s terrible, but I figured something like that would happen especially if some of the controversial YouTubers moved over to vidme. Some companies made it clear that they don’t want their ads on certain videos because they don’t want their family friendly brand ruined and that’s actually understandable, but at the same time YouTubers who are family friendly got effected along with many others and that part isn’t fair.

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I was honestly really sad that Vidme shut down, a few of my favorite reactors had to resort to uploading and streaming on vidme instead of youtube because of copyright and whatnot. Youtube needs some real competition.
YouTube will never get any real competition until there's a platform that can figure out how to appeal to the cat video and unboxing crowd. All of the platforms go for "free speech", which while important, doesn't make money and doesn't draw in views. It's the regular people who want to watch unoffensive videos that they need to get and nobody is even trying.[DOUBLEPOST=1527265012,1527264899][/DOUBLEPOST]
That’s terrible, but I figured something like that would happen especially if some of the controversial YouTubers moved over to vidme. Some companies made it clear that they don’t want their ads on certain videos because they don’t want their family friendly brand ruined and that’s actually understandable, but at the same time YouTubers who are family friendly got effected along with many others and that part isn’t fair.
VidMe could never figure out how to monetize content, thus most people just used it as a hedge against YouTube censorship. There wasn't a lot of original content there, it was just copies of things that already existed on YouTube. The same is true of platforms like BitChute. All copies, virtually nothing original. And no monetization either.

Reactions: videoeditgr

Looped Fruit

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Waiting for Amazontube to be released! There is another Youtube competitor that does pay more but I forgot the name of it now, I only went on that site once but the community is very small compared to Youtube.

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Waiting for Amazontube to be released! There is another Youtube competitor that does pay more but I forgot the name of it now, I only went on that site once but the community is very small compared to Youtube.
Amazon, at the moment at least, won't be a direct competitor because they require a lot more work to upload videos. Last I looked, all videos had to be at 1080p, they all had to have subtitles, and they were expected to be more professional in nature to cater to the Prime crowd who are sitting in front of their TV, rather than the YouTube crowd who are watching on their phones. That may be changing, but that was my take on it last I looked.

Looped Fruit

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Amazon, at the moment at least, won't be a direct competitor because they require a lot more work to upload videos. Last I looked, all videos had to be at 1080p, they all had to have subtitles, and they were expected to be more professional in nature to cater to the Prime crowd who are sitting in front of their TV, rather than the YouTube crowd who are watching on their phones. That may be changing, but that was my take on it last I looked.
See how long they last!