Vidme goes bye-bye...

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I feel that vid.me didn't do enough to differentiate themselves from YouTube and so they were never going to catch up YouTube's "first to market" advantage. Shame because a bit of competition would be good right now.

I predict Amazon has big plans for a video platform. They have the infrastructure (AWS) and a lot of user data to be able to make it work. Also - They're currently looking for a second headquarters (outside of the one in Seattle) so they have something brewing - YouTube has been making lots of mistakes over the last 18 months and are beginning to understand the challenges of running a large video platform. If anyone can capitalize on YouTube's woes, I believe it's Amazon.

Last edited:

TYTD

If it's radioactive, Its on TYTD
Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
I feel that vid.me didn't do enough to differentiate themselves from YouTube and so they were never going to catch up YouTube's "first to market" advantage. Shama because a bit of competition would be good right now.

I predict Amazon has big plans for a video platform. They have the infrastructure (AWS) and a lot of user data to be able to make it work. Also - They're currently looking for a second headquarters (outside of the one in Seattle) so they have something brewing - YouTube has been making lots of mistakes over the last 18 months and are beginning to understand the challenges of running a large video platform. If anyone can capitalize on YouTube's woes, I believe it's Amazon.
That sounds like the most realistic and believable option...Amazon are well known for sticking there fingers in as many pies as possible so if anyone was going to try and throw some competition youtube's way I'd say you were bang on the money...either that or as an outside bet Vimeo might finally try and go social over buisiness minded...but thats a long shot and would probably kill Vimeos USP in the first place...

KudoJin

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I feel that vid.me didn't do enough to differentiate themselves from YouTube and so they were never going to catch up YouTube's "first to market" advantage. Shame because a bit of competition would be good right now.

Well if Amazon has plans to try and take on YouTube, I'd like to see them try. And that's not me being sarcastic, I genuinely want to see them try, if for no other reason so that I can see what they have to bring to the table.

Gamayun

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I think YouNow have a good chance to replace Youtube . they have an ad free platform that is based on interaction with viewer. YouNow have 40 mil subs and a lot of daily broadcasters . I will start broadcasting there end of this month or first of January .

KingFishOcean

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
With issues surrounding YouTube and content creators in general, many people started to upload their content to Vidme as well. Unfortunately, the same advertiser demands being placed on Vidme is too much for the smaller site to bear. They are unable to continue an ad-supported site.

(Link added by staff)
I was literally just wondering if someone had posted about this. This sucks for me as I have been doing youtube for about 7 years now and my channel has since died because of youtube changing stuff every damn couple of weeks so my channel suffered because of it. I've been doing it for fun since then but vid.me was this cool new alternative that didn't make you pay to upload or slap capacity limits on uploads (looking at you dailymotion and vimeo) i honestly hope it gets revived sometime. It doesn't help that I only just caught up with copying my entire archive across to vid.me haha

OrbitGuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I liked that this was an alternative so this is sad from that perspective, but I didn't feel like it was gaining tons of traction and when I really think about this I'm not at all surprised this happened.

I think they would have had a better shot to try and go for a totally different look from YouTube or have some defining very unique feature that was different from YouTube. They really needed to go in as almost a different kind of service rather than a direct YouTube competitor I think. I just never felt like they had something way more compelling than YouTube, I know they had some different features but it just never drew me in.

I feel that vid.me didn't do enough to differentiate themselves from YouTube and so they were never going to catch up YouTube's "first to market" advantage.
Yeah I think they needed something very unique and appealing and just being an "alternative" wasn't good enough to convince people to go there to watch videos when YouTube was lightyears ahead as a go-to destination for that type of video.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crown

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
IDK. I'm still kinda bummed about it. I was slowly getting traction there and was hoping to be one of the guys that was 'there since the beginning' if it did eventually become something big. I feel in 2009, I came in pretty late to the Youtube thing.

MyBigBrain

I've Got It
Reaction score
To myself, it make no sense for Amazon to create a video sharing site like YT. For it to work, there has to be a clear point of differentiation (better) in order to pull people away from YT. Otherwise it'd be exactly like YT, so why would people flock to it?

Google created Google+ to compete with Facebook, and failed. Why would people move from one firmly established social network to another if there was no clear (and better) differentiation? They won't.

Google created Google Gnoll to compete with Wikipedia and failed. Why would people move from one firmly established online encyclopedia to another if there was no clear (and better) differentiation?

Microsoft has deep pockets, but Bing just can't pull people away from Google, because Google is already firmly established and Bing offers no clear (and better) differentiation.

Amazon has deep pockets and can build the infrastructure to build a video sharing site, but attracting people will be a prolonged and costly fight where the outcome is very unclear. Why would Amazon even think of doing something like that?

The best fight for Amazon is with Netflix, because Amazon has the resources for content creation ie. films, movies etc.

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
I had nice idea if I got famous, I would put some exclusive videos on sites like vidme, vimeo and dailymotion. But since they are getting shut down ... I really don't understand why big youtubers like Pewds and others don't do that in order to save some platform.
Because they bot......

FamilyToyReview

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Facebook already hosts videos. Most popular site in the world. They recently started their own video platform with a select few paid content creators. would be nice if they opened that up for everyone. that would be YouTube's direct competition.